Author Topic: Dry-aging beef  (Read 3953 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Dry-aging beef
« on: December 28, 2013, 03:40:35 PM »
I posted a method I've used to dry-age a prime rib in my Christmas Prime Rib post, but I've come across a product I'm going to try.  I ordered a sampler pack of dry age bags from UMAi:

http://www.drybagsteak.com/shop-drybag-steak-in-house.php

This looks like Gore-Tex for meat!  It allows the moisture to escape, but keeps the air and bacteria out!  Check out the link, watch the videos, and see what you think.  There are a bunch of links on the site to YouTube videos, other forum reviews, and product info.  These look incredible.

I plan to buy either a top sirloin or full ribeye, and dry-age in the bag for 28 days.

I'll post a full review of the process (of course), and keep you all updated!

If you've never had dry-aged beef, you owe it to yourself to try it!  Dry aging reduces the moisture content in the meat, breaks down the connective tissue, and gives the beef a really "robust" beefy flavor (and makes it fork-tender).  These are the $50-$70 steaks at premium steak houses!

More to come!!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
Re: Dry-aging beef
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 07:32:51 PM »
Wow that looks awesome, might have to get that for myself. Early Birthday present.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2