Author Topic: Resting inside the smoker  (Read 2052 times)

lakkdainen

Resting inside the smoker
« on: June 02, 2019, 01:33:45 PM »
Lots of BBQ mentions pulling at a certain temp, then foil wrapping, covering with a towel, and letting the meat rest in a cooler.  Some people even fill the cooler with hot water to preheat it somewhat.  I just did a brisket, and it seemed like an odd step to me.  The Smokin-it basically is a large insulated box... why not just let it rest in there?  It's insulated, preheated, keeps moisture well. 

So, this time I when I hit my target internal temp, I just turned the smoker off and didn't open the door.  It "rested" for an hour or two while I monitored the temp probes just in case.  In the end I was very happy with the results.  Is there any downside to this method?  Am I missing something?

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Resting inside the smoker
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 02:11:29 PM »
Makes perfect sense to me.  However, wrapping the meat in foil when it is done helps retain moisture which. 
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 10:55:11 PM »
The last 2 times I have done pork butts when they hit 195, I rested them in the smoker, opening the door only to verify they are done.  I do set my #3 controller to 140 deg just to be sure to keep the pork in food safe range.
The butts seemed as moist as ever (I also brine them). They pull really well.  The only down side is I can't clean the smoker as soon as the butts are done.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

TX Gent

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 11:36:45 AM »
I've allowed many different cooks to rest in the smoker in the past and don't think it makes a huge difference one way or the other ... maybe small difference though in moisture absorption with the full foil wrap. This is the way I roll now with double wrap and a hold for minimum of two hours. I believe from my experiences a two hour minimum hold is more important than one box or another in the end.

Results do slightly vary from one smoke to the next ...
John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

pappabear

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 12:50:34 PM »
I go either way, just depends on my mood. But I do wrap with foil. Resting in the smoker is just so much easier than moving it from one place to another.
Gary
Acme Pa
USAF Vet
Retired coal miner

LuvMyQ

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2019, 11:41:43 PM »
I have begun foiling and resting in the smoker.  I’ll set the temp to 150 if resting for more than 2hours.
Terry from Indiana
3D WIFI
Weber Performer (Kettle in a cart with a gas igniter)Formerly owned WSM 18"
Never had a gas grill
I love technology
Counting the years to retirement

mfatty500

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 03:43:40 PM »
Perfect subject, my nephew just called me and asked the very same thing! perfect timing

barelfly

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2019, 12:05:19 AM »
I have done both ways. Usually I just do the cooler and foil method, but a few times I’ve used the 3D set at 140, but still wrapped the food with foil. I went this route the times I had a longer wait time before eating. Did a Wagyu brisket once, and it got to temp much quicker than I expected. Like almost half the time, so in the smoker it sat for some time wrapped at 140.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear