Author Topic: "Georgia Gold" 3-2-1 Spareribs  (Read 2958 times)

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
"Georgia Gold" 3-2-1 Spareribs
« on: July 15, 2013, 08:56:49 PM »
I hit a sale on whole racks of spareribs at the local Kroger for $0.99 per pound so I grabbed four racks.  Standard butchering and reserved the rib tip strip for an appetizer to gnaw on while the smoking finished.  Silver skin and excess fat was removed, as always, and the butchering/cleaning process took less than 15 minutes for those of you who want to give it a shot.

Rub was a new rib rub I've been playing around with to compliment mustard based sauces (I'll post later) with yellow mustard as a binding agent.  I held it a little longer in the fridge (30 hours) than I'd have preferred but thunderstorms in Houston have played havoc with my schedule.

I used a single 4 oz. chunk of apple wood in a 225 smoker on with the rack and the rib tips on a single middle shelf.  The rack was pulled at 3 hours and spritzed with apple juice mixed with a bit of apple butter and a bit more rub applied.  The were dutifully removed at 5 hours and the foil removed; I pulled the rib tips at this point for ... "scientific purposes".  I also applied a healthy layer of Georgia Gold BBQ Sauce at this point and returned the rack to the smoker.  At 6 hours on the dot the rack was removed and the sauce had set quite well.  The taste was spot on and I could pick up a bit of residual smoke in the sauce.  Overall, a success ... though I did have to work around fast moving thunderstorms and rogue lightning strikes that scared the crap out of the pets.  All in all, not bad for a rare Monday off from work.

I did a step-by-step photo series for anyone new who has never done the 3-2-1 method ... if it's too repetitive just let me know.   :)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 09:14:48 PM by UWFSAE »
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

afratki

• Owner: Smokin-It #1
Re: "Georgia Gold" 3-2-1 Spareribs
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 07:16:52 AM »
Wow! Looks great Joe
Andrew from Maryland

Let's Smoke!

Spresso

Re: "Georgia Gold" 3-2-1 Spareribs
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 09:15:27 AM »
Looks very nice,  the pic series shows off the process well. 
Apple is my hands down favourite for ribs!
liked the second to last picture the best...
Zed from Southern Ontario
Smokin-It-all on the #3
Grillin-the-rest on the Weber