Author Topic: Heating issues  (Read 1626 times)

dcbt

Heating issues
« on: May 28, 2020, 10:47:23 AM »
I've recently been having issues controlling the temperature.  I feel like the unit has been running hot.  I finally dropped a spare probe into it while I cooked a brisket this past weekend to try and confirm, and indeed it wants to get up to about 300 degrees no matter what temperature I set it to.  I start at 225, and once it zooms past that I open the door, it does plummet, but once I close it back up it just zooms right back up, even if I also adjust the temperature down to 175, 150, even 100.  (As a work-around, I just undid the latch and left the door slightly ajar; at that point it seemed to heat to right at 225ish.)

I sent an email to Steve, and he replied, "You might first try gently cleaning the internal air probe that is located on the back wall of the smoker directly above the wood box.  Its a tube about 3/8" dia x 3"  If that does not work out I would suggest a new temperature control,  they can be found on our website for $25"

After some more follow-up, he further suggested using white vinegar or oven cleaner, and emphasized again to be gentle when cleaning.  Has anyone done this before to provide any tips?  Does this internal air probe remove to clean it, or do I do this while it's still in the smoker? 

If I have to go the route of a new temperature control, is that easy to do?  I'm not mechanically inclined at all; I always have 'leftover' parts when assembling something.  :) 

Thanks in advance.
Bryce in DFW, TX
SI #1
Weber Silver Genesis

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Heating issues
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 11:50:12 AM »
You may be apprehensive, but I think Steve was pretty clear on some good tips. You know what to use and to be gentle. Time to give it a try, it may work, but I am thinking you need a controller.

Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 12:05:48 PM »
i have replaced 2 thermostats. It is easy to do with a couple of pointers.  Take your time and go slow. Only takes about an hour the first time.
1. Take a picture of the thermostat in place from several angles. The terminals where the wires go are numbered, label the wires so you can match numbers to correct terminal when replacing.
2. DO NOT kink the capillary tube from the thermostat to the bulb.  The capillary tube comes in a small coil.  The coils are easy to pull and shape to the correct length but if you put a kink or really tight bend and collapse the tube the thermostat may not work.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 08:12:59 PM »
Your smoker carries a 3 year warranty. Have you hit that mark yet?  Not sure about the warranty on the controller.  Check with Steve.  Replacing the probe and/or controller will be straight forward.   Just wear gloves; fiberglass is itchy stuff.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus