Author Topic: Auber & Weather  (Read 4264 times)

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Auber & Weather
« on: February 24, 2015, 08:06:02 PM »
So, I've been reading posts where many are concerned about use of the Auber in bad weather.  My first thought was to simply put it in a clear plastic shoe box with a hole to get the plug out of.  Any reason why this wouldn't be an easy solution? 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Auber & Weather
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 08:19:08 PM »
You need airflow around the Auber.  It has a heat sink on the bottom, and the chipset generates a lot of heat.  I'm afraid enclosing it in a plastic box would allow the unit to get too hot.  Best to keep it under a cover that allows airflow.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 08:47:55 PM »
I was thinking that dead of Winter, heat would be the least of ones worries. 

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 09:43:07 PM »
I agree, Dave.  Just wouldn't want to use that solution when it's warmer, like in a rain storm.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

jbauch357

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 05:09:32 PM »
I've been thinking about this too, as living in Western Washington we average 226 cloudy/rainy days annually - and I am not willing to schedule my smoking around the rain.

Here is what I'm thinking.  Take a cheap Tupperware container, and then drill a bunch of holes in the bottom and sides of it for ventilation, leaving the top intact as a rain shelter.  Use a couple screws from the inside into wooden dowel hunks on the outside to build stand offs so the container doesn't heat soak too much from the SI cabinet temperatures.  Then also add a couple stand offs to the bottom of the Auber so that while sitting in the container if any water rolls in from the side holes it'll just roll under the Auber and out the bottom holes.

I know there has to be a cleaner solution for this, but building it sounds like a good way to kill some time and a couple beers, plus it really can't hurt.

Thoughts?
Josh - Western Washington (hell)

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 06:08:21 PM »
$9.99 buys a nice little computer box fan and it might even be able to be plugged into the Auber auxiliary power plug on the back.  That would solve the warm but rainy climates. 

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 08:30:36 PM »
$9.99 buys a nice little computer box fan and it might even be able to be plugged into the Auber auxiliary power plug on the back.  That would solve the warm but rainy climates.

May not be an issue, but for discussion sake, you may create the problem of pulling a lot of moist air across the Auber.  Not sure if it would cause problems, just something to consider.  I know there's a solution out there, and every piece of info can help someone...the more the better!
Tony from NW Arkansas

upright

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 02:32:28 PM »
My solution was to build a simple plywood box with a sloped roof.  It fits over the auber and has a clear plastic front so i can see the panel.  I put 2” marine louvre vents on each side so it won’t overheat. The vents are cheap via amazon.
Brian
- St. Louis MO

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 03:51:07 PM »
Simply ingenious!   
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2