Author Topic: Auber flexibility and butt rest  (Read 6038 times)

Wik

Auber flexibility and butt rest
« on: January 04, 2014, 05:28:17 PM »
I'm not one to babysit my smoker especially in the winter.  Going to smoke my first butt with the Auber PID and was wonder on opinions for the rest cycle in the smoker instead of the wrap and set on the counter method.  Since I have the flexibility to reduce the heat once hits IT 200-205 what should I set the smoker temp to after that to hold / rest the meat?

My thoughts are:
Step #             Temp (F)        Step #        F or t     Step    # value
C01                 225                 E01                 t           t01       2.0
C02                 225                 E02                 F          F02     200
C03                 140                 E03                 t           t03      30.0
C04                 0                     E04                 t           t04       0.0
C05                 0                     E05                 t           t05      0.0
C06                 0                     E06                 t           t06       0.0

How does that look for a strategy?  I was planning on leaving unwrapped, not in pan, and with some beer in a bread loaf pan to help keep moisture up, and this butt has no bone.  Was going to plan on 1.5 to 1.75 hrs per lb, but was going to plan and shot to ensure it was done by a certain time so it might hold for several hrs if it cooks faster than expected. 

Pros / Cons to my strategy?  Any suggested modifications?  Am I missing anything by not wrapping and holding in cooler?

Feedback welcome, thx,
Wik

Chad from Moorhead, MN
Proud #3 Owner

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Auber flexibility and butt rest
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 07:06:26 PM »
Looks like a solid plan, Wik.  I don't see why the 140 hold doesn't accomplish the same thing as the wrap/rest.  I've held meat at 140 for several hours, with no adverse affect on moisture or tenderness.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 07:21:07 PM »
Wik:

That's what I did and everything went swimmingly except I ran out of time and guests were arriving.

The only other thought I had was as follows:

250 to start until IT reaches 140F, then 225F until IT at 203F.

The thought here was to ensure one gets to 140 before 4 hour mark. I did 215F smoker temp and didn't get to 140F for a long time that was a little too low too slow.  Just a thought... Let us know if the 225 gets your IT over 140F in 4 hours (I've read from Jeff Philips book maybe that one can stretch the 4 hour mark if confident no brine, no etc that would have contaminated meat or put at risk). 
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

cwshiles

• Get out there and Smoke it!
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 07:45:35 PM »
Looks solid to me.  I will be giving the Auber it's maiden voyage tomorrow on some St. Lois ribs. Your program is close to what I plan on running also.

The only thought I had was wrapping the meat in foil, towel, and cooler seems like it is a little different than just holding it at 140.  I plan on using the holding temp at 140 method also, but more so because I want to start my cooks earlier than needed and hold until I can get around to pulling it.  I really had not thought about using that method as a replacement to wrapping, but I hope it works because I would much rather just hold at 140 than pull and wrap.

The only other question this raised in my mind was whether 140 was the optimal temp.  Is 140 better than 130?  I don't know, so hopefully someone can school me on the whys.

Good luck!!  Pics please ;D

Charlie from MD
Smokin it Model #3 with Cart
Auber 1503, Maverick ET-733, iGrill

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 08:16:24 PM »
Cs....

Care to run a trial?

Can you put them all on the 140 hold and take just one rack an wrap in foil and see if any difference?

I will likely do this at some point ... But if willing ...  ::)

cwshiles

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 08:47:34 PM »
I can. Good idea!

I am not sure how much difference it will make on the ribs.  I am doing 2 butts next weekend for a family in the neighborhood and will test the difference on those. I am also going to try brining the butts (thx Tony) on that one too  I love this forum for the variety of ideas.  I am trying Famous Dave's rib rub tomorrow for the first time. I took a ton of pics today and will put up a couple posts tomorrow with my ribs cook and the mods I made today.

Charlie from MD

rickne

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 09:05:49 PM »
Great idea.  Anxiously awaiting the verdict on that trial.
Rick  --  The Cornhusker State
Model #3 Jack Daniels Edition (W/ Cart)
Toggle Switch Bypass, Cold weather Cord, Auber PID

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 09:06:30 PM »
Sounds like you've got it going on, Charlie!  I'll definitely be interested to know what you think of the brined butts and the Dave's rub!  I'm with you on the "difference" test; don't think you'll tell much with ribs, but the butts will be a good test for sure.  Caution - once you brine a butt, you'll never do a plain one again - be forewarned! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 09:25:37 PM »
Tony:

Where was the post on brine butt?

Steve

cwshiles

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 09:43:29 PM »
I happen to be on this other post myself on my other tab.

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1012.0
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 09:51:05 PM by cwshiles »
Charlie from MD

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 10:06:36 PM »
Thanks for the link, Charlie.  That's it, Steve!
Tony from NW Arkansas