Author Topic: Babybacks on the top or bottom???  (Read 3207 times)

TexasSmoke

Babybacks on the top or bottom???
« on: May 30, 2015, 07:52:30 PM »
I have (3) racks of Babyback ribs coated in rub and resting in the fridge.
The plan is to smoke for 5 hours at 230 with 3.5oz of Apple and hickory and a pan of apple juice.  I am going without the Auber since it has been so weird on ribs smokes.

My first two BB rib smokes had the thinner end to dry and the meatier ends just right. I cut these ribs into meaty and thin sections.  Is the bottom or top of my #3 the hotter section?   I have read several contradicting posts.

Whick rack should I put the meatier ones on and which rack should I put the thinner ones on?
Smokin-It 3 & Auber PID, Viking outdoor grill

Ron from League City, TX

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: Babybacks on the top or bottom???
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 08:18:09 PM »
I have (3) racks of Babyback ribs coated in rub and resting in the fridge.
The plan is to smoke for 5 hours at 230 with 3.5oz of Apple and hickory and a pan of apple juice.  I am going without the Auber since it has been so weird on ribs smokes.

My first two BB rib smokes had the thinner end to dry and the meatier ends just right. I cut these ribs into meaty and thin sections.  Is the bottom or top of my #3 the hotter section?   I have read several contradicting posts.

Whick rack should I put the meatier ones on and which rack should I put the thinner ones on?

Ron,

I have a #2 but if I was doing the smoke I would put the meatier ones under the thinner ones.

I sure others will jump in.

Greg

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 09:28:53 PM »
On my old smoker, full racks never fit so I had to cut my ribs for every smoke.  My technique was to place the thin taper cuts opposite of each other so that there was an overlap of the last few paper thin ribs.  There was no loss of smoke flavor given they are so thin and the overlap tended to protect them from being waste. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Barrel99

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 10:45:12 PM »
The lower the shelf the hotter the temp. Therefore thinner on higher shelves.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

TexasSmoke

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 01:09:54 AM »
Well thanks for the thoughts guys the smoke went well.  I put the thin pieces on the top shelf and overlapped the ends a bit.  I put the thicker pieces on shelf #4.  They all came out on the money.  Everyone was pleased.
Smokin-It 3 & Auber PID, Viking outdoor grill

Ron from League City, TX

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 06:17:43 AM »
Congrats Ron
Greg

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 08:37:12 PM »
Sounds like you have it figured-out now!  Great!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!