Author Topic: St. Louis triple header  (Read 5274 times)

teleskier

St. Louis triple header
« on: May 28, 2015, 09:40:19 PM »
Smoked 3 racks of St. Louis cut ribs in the #2 today. Used Dave's rib rub on all three then finished one with a St. Louis sauce and another with a Raspberry Chipotle and one dry.  All three were tasty but I think I prefer a baby back to this cut.
SI#2, Maverick dual wireless probes.
Waterfowl guide and married to the best hunting partner a guy could ask for and I don't mean my dog...

Mike from California

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: St. Louis triple header
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 09:47:34 PM »
They look good.  I'm not a wet rib fan so I'd be picking from the unsauced rack.  As far as rib cuts go, I think it depends on my mood or craving and not really one over the other. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 09:48:49 PM »
Fine-looking ribs, Mike!  I grew up on spares - just about all the local BBQ joints made.  I never actually made back ribs until I got my SI #1!  Now, I'm an "all-in" convert!  I never make spares anymore.  Not that I won't eat good spares, I just now prefer the baby backs (and so does the family).
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 05:23:28 AM »
Mike,

Nice looking ribs, but I agree I just smoke baby backs these days.

Greg

Barrel99

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 11:08:49 PM »
And for me, St. Louis all the way.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 12:11:17 PM »
I've been in some stores that one would need a magnifying glass to find meat on their spares/St. Louis ribs.  So I can see the debate between baby backs and spares/St. Louis ribs.  For me, meaty St. Louis ribs have great everything but just a little different texture to the chew. 

coachB

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 03:18:28 PM »
Have to say my preference runs to the baby backs.  I wish I preferred the St. Louis ribs as they run $1-$1.50/lb cheaper.  I will pay the difference.
Bill from Myrtle Beach SC

Barrel99

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 10:54:18 PM »
I just prefer the taste of the spares to the baby backs.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

teleskier

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2015, 11:15:10 PM »
Was at a Q competition today where all there were doing was spares/St.Louis and chicken. I must say, even the experts ribs were not that great. I only tasted one of the 15 that had a good pull  from the bone and they all said they preferred baby backs but were provided the meat for this competition.

Even the chicken they did was not that great. I didn't find one piece where the skin had a nice clean bite through. It was all rubbery.
Waterfowl guide and married to the best hunting partner a guy could ask for and I don't mean my dog...

Mike from California

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2015, 12:04:18 PM »
Mike, I guess that qualifies all of us to consider ourselves competition smokers.  LOL! 

teleskier

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2015, 07:58:32 PM »
Well I think we knew that Dave... :)

Mike from California

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2015, 08:11:31 PM »
That's why they don't allow us in their little "competitions!"  It would be an unfair fight! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

pargolfr2003

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2015, 06:29:50 AM »
I can't really say I have a preference on this one. When I'm rib shopping I paw through every slab in the meat case inspecting and analyzing each of them...which my wife finds infuriating and a little embarrassing. Definitely different cuts and there are pros and cons to both but at the end of the day if they're cooked right I've never met a rib I didn't like. Always interesting to hear different perspectives though.
Tim D
Fayetteville, NC
My Tool Kit:
Smokin It #2
Weber Kettle
LOTS of cold beer and/or wine