Author Topic: Store corned beef to Pastrami  (Read 9491 times)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: Store corned beef to Pastrami
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2015, 07:30:40 PM »
Brisket is even cheaper than that. Buy Brisket, brine it You have Corned" Beef, turn that into Pastrami. I am sure you will like the result, it is so simple.

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1808.0 Corned Beef
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1809.0 Pastrami

Brian,

So for the brisket, I am just looking to buy the flat, I really like this idea. This way I know what is in the meat!

Thanks for sharing, I have printed this out and will be on the short list to do!

Greg

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2015, 08:26:15 PM »
So, how do you go about steaming a large piece of meat like a pastrami?? I've gotten intrigued by this whole pastrami idea...  Think I have it figured out from the brine, through the smoking....  But after that...  I'm confused.
My steaming portion of the recipe is a beer in a foil pan, tightly wrapped for the last hour of cooking. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2015, 09:12:11 PM »
So, how do you go about steaming a large piece of meat like a pastrami?? I've gotten intrigued by this whole pastrami idea...  Think I have it figured out from the brine, through the smoking....  But after that...  I'm confused.
My steaming portion of the recipe is a beer in a foil pan, tightly wrapped for the last hour of cooking.

Dave,

So could I do this in the oven....

Greg

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2015, 10:11:51 PM »
I do. 

Barrel99

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2015, 11:04:07 AM »
Doesn't matter how you steam it. As shown in my pic, I used a wok and a bamboo steamer you can pick up for a few bucks. Works the best for me. Just make sure you don't boil it by letting it sit in the water.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2015, 09:14:22 AM »
I was just rereading this thread a noted SuperDave's comment. I have also used Eye of the Round it makes great pastrami. I used bison, not beef and it was wonderful.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Barrel99

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2015, 02:19:09 PM »
In my opinion a pastrami can never be steamed properly in the oven. Delis use special steam trays that steam meat all day. I just dont think you can get the same results by covering, or not, the meat in an average oven.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 02:24:15 PM by Barrel99 »

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2015, 02:38:58 PM »
Arnie, I'm not sure how you can argue with fantastic results but everyone is entitled to an opinion. 

Barrel99

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2015, 06:29:00 PM »
I never argue with anyones good experiences Dave. As I said, in my opinion. I have cooked many pastramis and thats the way I have had great success. To me there is nothing like a rolling boil where that hot moist steam is blasting away at the meat.

coachB

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2015, 10:57:10 PM »
For anybody that likes real NY Jewish Deli pastrami check out the recipe at Meathead's site (amazin ribs).  He has a near perfect clone of Katz Deli pastrami, right down to the steaming time and meat temp. 
Bill from Myrtle Beach SC