Author Topic: Doner Kebab  (Read 4797 times)

LM600

Doner Kebab
« on: February 23, 2014, 02:40:22 PM »
Yep, that bastion of post pub deliciousness....the Doner Kebab, usually made from questionable 'meat' and served in less that sanitary conditions!

So, I decided to have a go and make my own.....found some Doner Kebab seasoning on EBay and combined this very thoroughly with a kilo of lean lamb mince, moulded it into a cylinder (using clingfilm) and put it in the fridge to firm up overnight.

Next day, removed from the fridge, unwrapped it and cooked it on my charcoal grill, slicing off thin strips as it cooked. Served in pitta breads with salad, garlic sauce and pickled chillies.

This has become a bit of a staple round here!
Marcus from Milton Keynes, England.

Outside : Pro Q Excel 20. Brinkmann Grill. Various Cold Smoke Generators.
Indoors : Electric Lava Rock Grill.

DiggingDogFarm

Re: Doner Kebab
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 03:20:53 PM »
Nice Doner Kebab!!!!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 03:23:17 PM »
Now there's some International Q!  Cute little bugger, there on the grill! ;)   You should post the actual recipe!  I've never heard of this, but wouldn't be afraid to adapt it to the SI!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

LM600

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 08:54:40 AM »
Thanks Guys!  8)

The recipe is simple....

1kg Lamb Mince ~18% fat

60g Kebab Seasoning*

Mix the two together well either in a food processor, mincer or by hand. The mixture should be very smooth, like pate.

Mould into a log shape, wrap in clingfilm and fridge overnight to firm up.

Unwrap and cook, I colour on all sides on a charcoal grill and slice thin slivers off as it cooks. Keep the sliced strips in a bains marie to keep warm whilst you cook the rest.

Serve in pitta or flat breads with salad, garlic and/or chilli sauce, lemon juice and pickled chillies.

* = I just buy this off EBay, not sure about the rules on posting a link, but if it's OK to do so and anyone wants it I'll post it. (I have nothing to do with the company whom I buy it off!)
Marcus from Milton Keynes, England.

Outside : Pro Q Excel 20. Brinkmann Grill. Various Cold Smoke Generators.
Indoors : Electric Lava Rock Grill.

Muttley

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 03:57:31 PM »
There's a Central Asia version, Chapelli or Chapli depending on the regional vernacular.   Tons of recipes on line to choose from and each would adapt to a smoker.   Watch out though, some if the recipes pack what could be considered a LOT of heat from the pepper(s). 

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 01:26:52 PM »
Marcus,

Thanks for posting, I ordered the Doner from ebay today!

Greg