Author Topic: Upgrade over MES 30?  (Read 2885 times)

normn3116

Upgrade over MES 30?
« on: March 20, 2021, 08:40:45 PM »
Hello all,

First an introduction.  Tom from Central IL.  I've had a Masterbuilt 30" smoker for the last 7 years.  It has worked well, but the controller is starting to fail, so the upgrade bug hits me.  Since I really only cook fory family, I am thinking about getting an SI model 1.  I smoke primarily pork butt, briskets, and ribs, with the occasional chicken wing.  My big question is simply this: how is the flavor profile of stuff for the model 1 vs my masterbuilt?  I've got my methods fairly dialed in with the MES, so my other thought is to just get another one.

Anybody willing to weigh in?  Thanks!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Upgrade over MES 30?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2021, 12:19:27 AM »
Welcome Tom. I cannot answer your  "flavor profile" question as I have not used the MES.  All I can say is that the SI Smoker is great and will not let you down.  Unlike what I have read regarding the MES (on another forum) is you need to replenish the wood ships in the tray every 20 or so minutes.  With the SI, you place wood chunks in the box, turn on the smoker, and basically walk away.  No replenishing needed. Depending on what I place in the smoker, I have used as little as 2 ounces of wood and as much as 6 ounces.  4 to 6 is my norm, even on an overnight smoke.  Lastly, I know a lot of folks use an amnps to generate long periods of smoke.  They reportedly work OK in an SI smoker although I have never seen a need for 12 hours of constant smoke output. You will have to decide whether you want a new Si or MES. Here is a link to smoke:
https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/grill-and-smoker-setup-and-firing/what-you-need-know-about-wood-smoke-and
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

barelfly

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2021, 10:44:22 AM »
Welcome to the board Tom!

David gave some good info. Flavor profile comes from the rubs and the smoke. Some may say the smoke is a little lighter compared to stick burners, and comparable to some of the pellet burners. Finding the balance of these, you can use a varying amount of wood.

But they are easy to use! For the size, the one is small. You will have to make some adjustments for brisket and ribs, but you will get good cooks. My dad has a #2 for him and my mom and loves it. He cuts ribs in half, and shoves the brisket in or will cut that as well. You didn’t mention how many you may be cooking for, but that’s just one thing to keep in mind.

But, again, this is Lazy Q at it’s best. And these cookers are well made, so should last you quite some time! I’ve had my #3D for four years now, love it.

Hope that helps!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

Paul B

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2021, 11:19:00 AM »
They last forever!!
Although I don't have a SI, I've got something very similar and it is a 1993 model, 28 years old!
Controls gave out, they were replaced with an Auber Controller, $200.00 as opposed to about $1600.00 for updated controller unit.  Works just the same, maybe better.
Determine what you want to do and size accordingly.
Paul B

normn3116

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2021, 01:08:02 PM »
Thanks all!

Thanks!  I cook for 4 (me, wife, and 2 kids).  Usually no more than a single rack of ribs, brisket, or pork butt.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2021, 02:12:15 PM »
I would go with a #2 based upon the 4 you cook for.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2021, 02:41:53 PM »
I have a #1 that I use when camping.  I did 3 full racks of ribs last year (cut in 1/2 of course). And have done a couple of boneless pork butts.  The butts fit okay, but not a lot of extra room. Don't think could do 2 butts at the same time.  Turkey breasts fit well, 1 easy, 2 is crowding it.
I also have a #2 equivalent from Cookshack and that is much easier to use especially if you are doing a 5-7# of jerky. My #3 is the best for interior space, I bought mine when they were still $400).
I don't think there is any thing wrong with getting the analog controller.  I think the only real benefit of the digital is the higher temperature. But the analog is bullet proof and a lot cheaper to repair.
If you can afford it, I would get the #2 analog over the #1. It will be closer to the space in your MES30.
Which ever you choose, I'm sure you will be pleased.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

OldeSmoker

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2021, 11:08:10 PM »
Welcome normn3116. Whichever SI smoker you buy you can’t go wrong. I have a 3DW and we have a family of five. A #2 would have probably been big enough, but I periodically cook for family and friends. Plus I didn’t want to have to cut ribs and a full size brisket in half to make them fit. Enjoy whichever model you choose.
Paul from Southwest Missouri
*Smokin-It 3D-WiFi
with Bella’s CSG and The Stephanie Cabinet
*Members Mark SS 6 Burner Gas Grill with Sear Burner, Side Burner & Rotisserie
*River Grills Wood Fired Grill and Fire Pit
W/ Rotisserie and Dutch Oven Hanger