Author Topic: Stands  (Read 1699 times)

iamimdoc

Stands
« on: June 19, 2020, 02:01:44 PM »
Can anyone comment on stainless steel stands for a model 3 smoker
The Smokin it Stand looks OK but I would prefer the functionality of the one for the Model 1-2 smokers

Possibly
https://www.bbqguys.com/smokin-tex/smokintex-smoker-cart-for-1100-and-1400-pro-series-smokers?utm_source=criteo&utm_medium=paid&utm_campaign=67007&utm_content=2x2&utm_term=1530817&species=display-ad-remarketing&campaignid=67007&campaignname=CRI|DSP|Remarketing|SiteVisitors|0-30

looks more useful to me due to fold up shelf.  Seems to be about same height but not sure it will fit the Model 3  smoker.  I have message into the manufacturer.

Other options folks could suggest would be appreciated

Thanks

LarryD

• 3DW
Re: Stands
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 06:28:25 PM »
I have the 3D-WiFi with the Smokin-It stand...  it's a great height, sturdy, and rolls easily enough.  Beyond that, I don't really like it for the following reasons:

* The shelves on either side are worthless to me 99.9% of the time.  I need a shelf that opens up directly in front of the smoker, not on the sides.  Because the shelves hang on the side there are "posts" that stick out on both sides.  If I take the shelves off then the posts will be there to run into and catch on things.   If I want to haul the smoker and lay it down the posts keep it from lying down.  I'm honestly thinking of cutting the posts off and just doing away with the shelves entirely. 

* The space under the smoker is just wide open on all four sides.  This means that anything and everything blows into that space.  It's never clean.  It's pretty much a completely useless space.  It needs to be closed on the back and both sides.  There should be a shelf on the front that doubles as a closure when in the down position.

* There is nothing between the bottom of the smoker and the open area of the stand other than the drip tray.  This means that if the drip tray overflows or you spill any when removing it then you've just made a mess of everything in that space which is just one more reason to not put anything in that space.  The way it's designed, it's a pain in the ass to clean up as there is a ~1" raised lip all the way around the bottom.

If I didn't already have the stand, I would not get this one.

------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

iamimdoc

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 12:19:26 PM »
So the Norman cabinet from smokin it would be a better choice in your opinion?

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2020, 06:37:58 PM »
So the Norman cabinet from smokin it would be a better choice in your opinion?

The Norman is for the 2 series.  You'll want the Stephanie for the 3 series.

Not having owned one of the cabinets, I can't say anything first hand about it.  I don't love that the actual dolly part is so wide at the bottom, but it otherwise looks like it has actual usable space.  I do wonder if someone that has one of these can weigh in on it.  One thing I'd like to do is get a deeper drip pan and it's not clear from the picture if this cabinet would accommodate that.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

barelfly

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2020, 11:35:21 PM »
You know, looking at the Stephanie for the 3, I wonder if you could fabricate some sliders of some sort with a few arms that could collapse to place a sheet pan that you could use when smoking? hmmmmm....

My dad just picked up a stainless steel cart for his #2 and he really likes it, biggest reason being the smoker is up and he doesn’t have to kneel down now. But he said it is really well built and is stable with the smoke on top.

That is the one thing I would like to do, is raise the smoker a bit. I may have to revisit the options. Perhaps this cabinet is one to look more at???
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear