Author Topic: Successful 7-Hour Brisket (Fast Cook)  (Read 2082 times)

LuvMyQ

Successful 7-Hour Brisket (Fast Cook)
« on: February 10, 2019, 01:41:02 PM »
I had read about others going up to 300 degrees (on some other forums) on their brisket smokes.  SO I had to give it a try.  Since I remembered reading somewhere that you should not push over 300 on the SI's, I decided to try 275.  I used a Costco prime about 12.5 lb untrimmed, approx. 10.5 lbs trimmed..  No brine.  I id use a little Morton Tender Quick for about 20 minutes to get a smoke ring.  Ambient temp was 10 degrees rising to about 16 degrees.

I had 3 goals in mind.
1. Prove that the SI can work great in the cold.
2. Try the fast smoke
3. Take advantage of the lower brisket pricing in winter around here.  (3.29 /LB)
And of course hoping for some bragging rights to my friends with Traegers and BGE's.

In reality, this hit 190 IT at 6 hours and 15 minutes.  i did not believe it, but verified with the fast read thermometer.  It wasn't quite as jiggly as I thought my last one was.  So I lowered it 225 and let it go until 193 literally 30 minutes later.  All in all, this size usually takes me 12+ hours and it finished in less than 7.  I had to hold in a faux cambro for 5 hours because it was done so fast. 

I will declare success!!!  The SI was up to 275 IT in 1.25 hours and had no issues holding it there.  The flat was a little drier than I wanted - probable should have pulled it at 190.  But it had all the flavor and the point was plenty juicy.  If I were to rate my last Costco prime at 10, this would be a 9 - only because the flat as a little dry.  I am so far sold on the fast cook.  Next time I might try to wrap the flat end in pink butcher paper about mid way through.  I am also going to try my next butt at 275.

Terry from Indiana
3D WIFI
Weber Performer (Kettle in a cart with a gas igniter)Formerly owned WSM 18"
Never had a gas grill
I love technology
Counting the years to retirement

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Successful 7-Hour Brisket (Fast Cook)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 07:43:08 PM »
Good that you found a method you like.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

EFGM

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 11:27:15 AM »
Yep, the best way to smoke a “hunk of goodness” is the way that works for you!
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 09:36:40 AM »
I had read about others going up to 300 degrees (on some other forums) on their brisket smokes.  SO I had to give it a try.  Since I remembered reading somewhere that you should not push over 300 on the SI's, I decided to try 275.  I used a Costco prime about 12.5 lb untrimmed, approx. 10.5 lbs trimmed..  No brine.  I id use a little Morton Tender Quick for about 20 minutes to get a smoke ring.  Ambient temp was 10 degrees rising to about 16 degrees.

I had 3 goals in mind.
1. Prove that the SI can work great in the cold.
2. Try the fast smoke
3. Take advantage of the lower brisket pricing in winter around here.  (3.29 /LB)
And of course hoping for some bragging rights to my friends with Traegers and BGE's.

In reality, this hit 190 IT at 6 hours and 15 minutes.  i did not believe it, but verified with the fast read thermometer.  It wasn't quite as jiggly as I thought my last one was.  So I lowered it 225 and let it go until 193 literally 30 minutes later.  All in all, this size usually takes me 12+ hours and it finished in less than 7.  I had to hold in a faux cambro for 5 hours because it was done so fast. 

I will declare success!!!  The SI was up to 275 IT in 1.25 hours and had no issues holding it there.  The flat was a little drier than I wanted - probable should have pulled it at 190.  But it had all the flavor and the point was plenty juicy.  If I were to rate my last Costco prime at 10, this would be a 9 - only because the flat as a little dry.  I am so far sold on the fast cook.  Next time I might try to wrap the flat end in pink butcher paper about mid way through.  I am also going to try my next butt at 275.
Hey Terry,
When I do briskets, I set it for 265 and it takes around 7-7.5 hours and am happy with the results!
Best Greg

kona77

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 09:26:03 PM »
 I have been thinking about doing a higher temp smoke based on the feedback from Greg and others. Appreciate you letting us know about your experience.  I also get the Costco prime cuts ( always in the 14-16lb range) and my cook times have been anywhere from 13 to 24 hours.. They always turn out great but it does make planning a dinner time for quests a challenge. I am going to try a higher temp smoke (265) on my next smoke. 
Gene from Wisconsin
SI newbie (3-D)
Live/breathe for the outdoors..

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 02:03:11 PM »
I have been thinking about doing a higher temp smoke based on the feedback from Greg and others. Appreciate you letting us know about your experience.  I also get the Costco prime cuts ( always in the 14-16lb range) and my cook times have been anywhere from 13 to 24 hours.. They always turn out great but it does make planning a dinner time for quests a challenge. I am going to try a higher temp smoke (265) on my next smoke.
Hey Gene,
Let us know how it works out (I also use the 12-14lb prime from Costco)!
Best Greg