Author Topic: Fitting ribs in the model 2  (Read 2376 times)

smokinitnew

Fitting ribs in the model 2
« on: September 20, 2020, 10:03:57 AM »
With the racks only being 14 x 14 you can't fit a rack of ribs inside the smoker intact.  How are you smoking ribs?

coyote

• SI2
Re: Fitting ribs in the model 2
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 10:45:57 AM »
In my #2 ,I just cut them in half, still just as good.
HAPPY SMOKIN,
ROLL TIDE,!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2020, 12:59:40 PM »
I cut them in half too for my #2.   Works fine.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 09:23:14 PM »
With the racks only being 14 x 14 you can't fit a rack of ribs inside the smoker intact.  How are you smoking ribs?

You don't indicate if you have the #2.  If not you can always get the #3.  But as you have been told, cut the ribs in half.  You may find a similar situation and solution with a full packer brisket versus shelf space.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

smokeasaurus

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 05:55:17 PM »
I used to shudder at the thought of cutting ribs in half.

Once I did it, I realized they come out just as good cut in half as a whole rack.
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
Gabby Grills Santa Maria and Rotisserie
PK Grill
Blackstone 36 inch Flat Top

Papa Rick

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2020, 09:28:28 AM »
I always have to cut mine in half to get them to fit in my #2.  I do 5 racks at a time.  I found it does better when I cut them in half to start at the bottom with the biggest ones and work my way to the top. 
Richard from NE Alabama  # 2 smoker

Timinator

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2020, 08:51:43 AM »
I always have to cut mine in half to get them to fit in my #2.  I do 5 racks at a time.  I found it does better when I cut them in half to start at the bottom with the biggest ones and work my way to the top.

Are you cycling the racks during the smoke from top to bottom and such or just arranging by thickness?

Walt

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2020, 11:03:13 AM »
If only cooking a rac or two, arranging diagonally will usually allow an unmolested rack in the #2. I usually smoke @ least 3 racks @ a time so i do as Papa Rick recommends & it does not require cycling. Last night I cooked 3 racks & tried something  new. I cut the racks into 2 and 3 bone individual sections. I wanted a cleaner presentation for plating much like when cooking salmon. Same cooking time, beautifull presentation and no drop in quality. I will do it this way from now on.

This whole "you have to cut the rack" is a silly rationale for decision making. Most folks dont eat an entire rack by themselves.  Therefore, they have to be cut @ some point & I can verify it does not affect the quality.  Also, I cook 20lb briskets in my #2 whole with great success. I have never needed more real estate for cooking. I regularily cook for gatherings of 10 to 20. The bigger units would be nice but definitely not necessary for me.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 11:34:13 AM by Walt »
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

hvacgaspiping

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2020, 04:04:21 PM »
I usually smoke 3 racks of ribs at a time by cutting them in half and using 4 shelves.  I use St. Louis ribs, which are plenty thick, but there`s still enough room in my #2 for all of them at once.

Newsmoke

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2020, 05:09:26 PM »
I’ve done baby backs twice in my 2. I cut them in half. No problem. 3-2-1 method