Author Topic: Boston butt  (Read 2416 times)

coyote

• SI2
Boston butt
« on: December 05, 2014, 09:20:54 AM »
Hey cooking two butts, about 4lbs each, is it = 8 lbs time wise, or 4lbs time wise on cook time ? Like 1.5 hrs per pound
Or so.
 Thanks
HAPPY SMOKIN,
ROLL TIDE,!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Boston butt
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 09:42:07 AM »
Yeah, you're probably looking at 1.5 hours per pound, but I have seen that these smaller pieces of meat can be stubborn. So, don't be surprised if it ends up being closer to 2.0 hours per pound.

I would still guess closer to 1.5 though.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 09:44:49 AM »
Hey Cayote, I believe you should treat it like a 4 pounder time wise as a plan but in the end the internal temperature is the decider. 195 deg is the target... Post pics of the results!  :)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 10:06:46 AM »
Each piece is separate, so figure on 1.5 hours for 4lbs.   Like Gregg said though, sometimes you need up to 2 hours per pound.   If you are on a schedule where they need to be done at a certain time, then you might want to allow the extra time (2hrs/lb) and you can wrap and hold in a cooler when they hit 195IT.  Also, be sure to include at least 1 hours in your timing for a rest period in the cooler (more is better); the rest period is essential to getting the best product!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

coyote

• SI2
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 05:45:13 PM »
Hey thanks Guys, that's what I was thinking also, just wanted to make sure. :)
HAPPY SMOKIN,
ROLL TIDE,!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 10:57:34 PM »
Pretty small butts...what cut are they?  Bone-in or boneless?  Boston butt shoulder cut, or picnic roast?  All of these things can be a factor on time.  Hit us with the details, and we'll try to be more specific.  The general rules, outlined so far, are good rules, but different cuts react differently.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!