Author Topic: PID controler  (Read 2132 times)

jimq2

PID controler
« on: June 02, 2019, 03:38:08 PM »
My Model 2D is about 2 years old, I still can't figure out how to operate it. The book description doesn't match what I see on display. Wish I would have ordered it with a simple temp. control knob. Save money and frustration.

LarryD

• 3DW
Re: PID controler
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 03:52:33 PM »
My Model 2D is about 2 years old, I still can't figure out how to operate it. The book description doesn't match what I see on display. Wish I would have ordered it with a simple temp. control knob. Save money and frustration.

There is definitely something to be said for the simplicity of the analog models with the rheostat.  I've owned both a #2 (analog) and the 3DW (digital, wifi).  If I were starting over with nothing I'd get the #3 so that I'd have the added space and the simplicity of analog.

All of that said... let's see if we can figure out what's going on with yours...  Can you take and post a picture or three of what you're running into and what you're trying to do?  My personal assessment is that Auber should outsource their software development as they are embarrassing themselves it's so bad.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

jimq2

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 12:08:42 PM »
I just don't understand the how to operate the controller, I feel lucky just to get the temp. set and the unit to heat up and stay on until what ever I'm smoking is done. Some of the letters they show in the book I.E. F or t never show on my display. I agree with your comment about Auber, Smokin-it ought to do a better job of explaining how it to operate it. My JD dealer does a great job explaining to me how operate equip. that I purchase, I suppose that's why they are so successful. 

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 01:34:26 PM »
I have the Wifi model and always do the programming from my phone or tablet, so I can't speak to your model specifically.  The Wifi didn't exist two years ago, so you're either on the 'old' Gen 2 D controller or the updated Gen 3 'D' controller.  I think the Gen 3 'D' controller just came out, so I'm going to assume you're on the 'old' controller.  Manual: https://www.smokin-it.com/v/vspfiles/files/DigitalManualold.pdf

Reviewing the manual, it looks like the programming for your controller is conceptually the same as for the newer Wifi controller.  You can program 6 steps with the program determining the cook/box temperature to use for the duration of the step and the criteria for when the current step should end and the next one should begin.  The cook is over when the controller runs out of programming.  That could be after step 1 if step 2 isn't programmed or after step 6 if all 6 steps have been programmed.

For each step you have to define what will cause it to end.  You can tell a step to end after a certain amount of time (in hours and fractions of hours) or after the food probe hits or exceeds a specified temperature reading.  Each step must be one or the other and cannot be both.  However, each step is independent and can be different from the prior or next.  (example:  Step 1 might set the cook/box temp to 235 and be programmed to end when the food probe has a temperature reading of 195 or greater.  Step 2 might then set the cook/box temp to 140 and be programmed to end after 2 hours.  The total smoke/cook time will be however long it takes for the food probe to register a temperature >= 195 plus an additional 2 hours.  With no step 3 defined the controller will consider the smoke/cook complete.)  You do want to make sure that any steps you're not using are set to a cook temperature of 0 and with a time (vs food temp) of 0, as well.

When you are about to begin a new cook, turn on the smoker, and press and release the Set button one time.  It's important that you just press and release the set button.  If you press and hold the set button for 2 seconds then the controller will do something entirely different than described below.

If things work as the manual describes then you have two 'windows' on the face of the controller.  The left window will say C-1 and the right window will show a number.  Since the manual doesn't seem to clearly and consistently define what the C means in C-1, let's assume from here on that it means Cook Temperature.  The Cook Temperature is the target temperature inside the smoker.  The 1 means this is step 1.  The number at this point is the Cook Temperature you want for this step.  So in the prior example, you'd use the +/- buttons to change the number to be 235.

When you have C-1 set to 235 press the Set button again.  Now the left window should say E-1.  The right window should either be a capital 'F' or a lower 't'.  In this case the 'E-1' means you are still programming step 1 and you are specifically defining how it will end (E).  If you choose 'F' then you are saying you want the step to end when a particular Food Temperature is recorded by the food probe.  If you choose 't' then you are saying you want the step to end after a specified period of Time.  To continue with the example, you'd want this set to F.

Once you have the End criteria (temperature 'F' or time 't') selected, press the Set button again.  As a confirmation of what you selected, the left window will now show either F-1 or t-1.  For our purposes, it should say F-1.  This tells you that the number on the right is the Food Temperature you are setting for the food probe to detect and trigger on.  To stay with our example, use the +/- buttons to set this to 195.

Once you have the left window saying F-1 and the right window saying 195, press the set button again and it should take you to the second step of the program which will be indicated by the left window displaying C-2.  Program step two by repeating the steps you just used for step 1.  [Change the right window to show 140 (left window shows C-2), press Set, change the right window to show 't' (left window shows E-2), press Set, change the right window to say 2.0 (left window shows T-2], press set.]

At this point the left window should be showing C-3.  Follow the exact same steps you just used for C-2 to set the Cook Temperature to 0, to End by time, and set the Time to 0.0 hours.  Do this for C-3 through C-6.

With the program now fulling defined the green light should come on to indicate the element is on, the left window should show a temperature, and the right window should show a time which all indicate the program is running.

Your prior message indicated you don't normally see the 't' or 'F'...  if you don't ever see that following the instructions above, please elaborate what you do see as you try to follow these instructions and maybe we can figure out what's going on.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 09:03:53 AM by LarryD »
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 09:20:52 PM »
Well said Larry. Much clearer than what Auber puts out. 
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

jimq2

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2019, 11:47:09 AM »
Thank You, your explanation is clearer than anything I seen before. I'll give it a try soon and let you know how well it works for me. Again-THANK YOU!