Author Topic: Cleanup  (Read 1503 times)

Jhrol2862

Cleanup
« on: November 13, 2020, 08:36:39 AM »
How does everyone clean the inside of their smokers, how often and what do you use?  Thanks in advance.
John from Indiana

barelfly

Re: Cleanup
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 08:57:10 AM »
I pull the foil from the top of the smoke box and bottom of the smoker. Wipe those down well with paper towel so there isn’t grease, dump the coal/ash from the box. With my 3D, I only leave in the grates that I am using, so when cleaning up, I fire up my gas grill and place the grate on top and let it get hot, then knock it down with the grate brush. Let it cool, put the grates in the smoker and cover it up.

I’ve had my smoker for 4 years, I’ve never had to do anything else to the inside. Others on the board use a paint scraper to knock off any Black seasoning that is flaking off and that may be about it.

I’ll clean the outside after a few uses with a stainless steal cleaner. Pretty easy to maintain compared to other smokers.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

Jhrol2862

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 09:15:46 AM »
Thanks.  I want avoid too much buildup on the inside walls of the smoker but it sounds like your saying it won’t get too bad?
John from Indiana

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 10:48:45 AM »
I do the same thing with the inside of the box -- just a wipe down after each smoke to clean up the liquid on the bottom of the smoker.  Even with foil on the bottom, I still get some liquid that seeps around the foil.   A quick wipe and I'm ready for the next smoke.

Maybe once a year or so, I will also scrape the top and sides of the box to get some of the black stuff off, but it really isn't that much.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2020, 12:04:56 AM »
I always foil the top of the fire box and the bottom of the smoker.  When there is enough buildup on walls/ceiling/back that it's practically ready to fall off I just use a putty knife to very gently give it the nudge it needs.  I never scrape... if gently running over it doesn't remove it then it doesn't need removed.  :)   When I'm done I remove the fire box change its foil and then pull the foil with all the gunk I knocked off out of the bottom and toss.  The door I just position over the trash can and use the same putty knife to get the loose stuff right into the trash.  If there's a lot of grease buildup on the bottom after I've removed the foil then, again, I use the putty knife to gather it up and toss it in the trash.  I leave the firebox in place when I'm scraping stuff off so that I don't have the gunk land on the element.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

Jhrol2862

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2021, 11:05:55 AM »
Thanks everyone.
John from Indiana