Author Topic: How much are you guys getting your brisket for?  (Read 5493 times)

ccase39

How much are you guys getting your brisket for?
« on: September 24, 2016, 04:19:06 PM »
I have a mom and pop grocer around the corner that carries prime for 2.70 a lb. I am just wondering what prices are like in other parts of the world. With all the Wally Worlds and chains who's meat people don't know prime from select it's nice to have an old school butcher around the corner. I get everything from pork belly to foie gras from these guys at prices that wholesalers can't touch. I know Sams here has choice for around 3.25.
Pork shoulder is around 1.99lb at Sam's but anywhere from .99lb to 1.44 at Winn Dixie and the place around the corner where I get brisket. I can't believe the swings.
Chris

Covington Louisiana

ibbones

Re: How much are you guys getting your brisket for?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 04:25:26 PM »
Chris, I am in South Texas and yesterday I bought two Pork Butts for $0.99 per pound at HEB.  It goes like that every three to four months.  Brisket right now is $1.97 for the cheap packers and they are 10-16 pounders.  Need to grab a few more and freeze them.
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D

ccase39

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 05:27:28 PM »
Chris, I am in South Texas and yesterday I bought two Pork Butts for $0.99 per pound at HEB.  It goes like that every three to four months.  Brisket right now is $1.97 for the cheap packers and they are 10-16 pounders.  Need to grab a few more and freeze them.

Hell I might drive to Texas and pick up some at those prices. Pork is pretty close to that here but not brisket. I forgot to mention the price above is for whole packers.
Chris

Covington Louisiana

drains

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 09:36:45 PM »
Hey Chris how much do pork bellies go for where you are? they want 3.49 a pound here and they have to be ordered a week in advance. thanks
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

ccase39

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 09:59:01 PM »
Bought skin on at 1.29lb today at that grocer around the corner. 10 some odd lbs.
I'm not smoking this one. I'm going to salt the skin and oven roast it to draw out the moisture brush the salt off and then throw it under a broiler. The skin on top turns into cracklin but the meat and fat underneith is tender and moist.
I plan on doing bacon next week.
Chris

Covington Louisiana

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 11:08:51 PM »
$2.70/lb sounds like a good price for Prime Brisket. I buy mine from Costco, and the price can vary, but they are usually $3.79/lb. Sometimes lower. I would just make sure you buy either Prime or Choice. I wouldn't touch a Select or lower grade brisket, no matter how cheap it is. I'm going to choose Prime anytime it's available.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SconnieQ

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 11:11:17 PM »
My last recorded price at Costco for skin-off pork belly (about 10-12 pound slabs) was $2.85/lb.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 04:56:39 PM by SconnieQ »
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Walt

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 04:45:52 PM »
Chris, whats the name of the small grocery?
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

ccase39

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 02:58:23 PM »
Chris, whats the name of the small grocery?
Aquistapace

http://acquistapace.com
Chris

Covington Louisiana

Walt

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 03:05:51 PM »
Thanks. I know the store. We buy wine there.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

ccase39

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 03:40:51 PM »
Thanks. I know the store. We buy wine there.
Didn't know you were from my neck of the woods! Ever see the big red bus?

You gotta ask them for whole prime and pork belly and the like but they are great about accommodating . You don't have to order it they usually have it in house.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 03:42:50 PM by ccase39 »
Chris

Covington Louisiana

kkhenson

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2016, 07:58:17 PM »
Whoa, I am very jealous of those prices.  In CT, I just paid $4.99 per lb for a brisket from a grocery (not even sure what the grade was other than the sticker said USDA graded).  Normal price was $7.99 per lb.  Visited a couple of butcher shops that were charging anywhere from $9.99 to $11.99 per lb. 
Kevin from New Milford, CT
SI Model #2
Still learning

SconnieQ

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2016, 08:40:29 PM »
Whoa, I am very jealous of those prices.  In CT, I just paid $4.99 per lb for a brisket from a grocery (not even sure what the grade was other than the sticker said USDA graded).  Normal price was $7.99 per lb.  Visited a couple of butcher shops that were charging anywhere from $9.99 to $11.99 per lb.

Is it a whole packer brisket? Or a flat? Prices can vary a lot. Flats "only" are more expensive per pound, and the more they are trimmed, the more they cost per pound. Don't know why...because the flat is less desirable and drier in my opinion, and the more it's trimmed, the worse it is for smoking, but let's just keep that our little secret. If you have a Costco or Sams, buy from there. Or ask a reputable butcher for a "whole untrimmed packer brisket". It's going to be 12-18 pounds.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 08:42:13 PM by SconnieQ »
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

ccase39

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2016, 08:41:24 PM »

That's rediculous!! It's gonna start going up pretty soon for holidays
Chris

Covington Louisiana

kkhenson

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2016, 12:37:21 PM »
Gotcha...that was for flats.  I didn't think I could fit a whole packer in the SI #2.
Kevin from New Milford, CT
SI Model #2
Still learning