Author Topic: Dead👁Daniel gonna try the Johnny trigg RIBS!  (Read 5225 times)

Dead👁Daniel

Dead👁Daniel gonna try the Johnny trigg RIBS!
« on: September 21, 2016, 02:20:28 PM »
Stumbled across a YouTube video on ribs the Johnny trigg way. So with today off work I thought why not. Have 2 racks of ribs and gonna do one the trigg way.
Rubbed both racks with olive oil and a dusting of RIB TICKLER rub. Gonna do the 3-2-1? There back ribs? Or should I do 2-2-1?

After saying rack a couple times it reminded me of a new sign I just bought for hunting room.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 03:15:34 PM by Dead👁Daniel »
John ohio locomotive engineer
Mes30
Smokin it 3D
Thermopop
Thermoworks dot

Dead👁Daniel

Re: Dead👁Daniel gonna try the Johnny trigg RIBS!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 05:15:03 PM »
Did three hours in smoker @ 235. Going back in for a 2 hour wrap. One I just wrapped and just put some apple juice in and the other one the trigg way (supposably) with brown sugar - butter - honey - tiger sauce meat side down on all that stuff and wrapped in Saran Wrap and foil.
This is my first time trying this method.
Mes30
Smokin it 3D
Thermopop
Thermoworks dot

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 05:53:55 PM »
Looks like you are close, If I wrap ribs I do 3 hours 1st.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

Dead👁Daniel

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 06:03:59 PM »
John you wrap first?
Mes30
Smokin it 3D
Thermopop
Thermoworks dot

Sodaking27

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 06:33:33 PM »
Looking forward to your thoughts on the outcome.
Don from Maryland.
Saving my pennies for a 3D

Durangosmoker

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 06:38:08 PM »
I'm not sure I would do saran wrap in the cooker
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

Dead👁Daniel

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 07:17:26 PM »
Out of wrap and whole rack gets no sauce cause it's the Johnny trigg rack. The bottom left has old mule mustard and right one has sweet baby rays sauce and back in smoker for an hour. The meat is really tender!!!!

Mes30
Smokin it 3D
Thermopop
Thermoworks dot

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 07:37:56 PM »
3 hr unwrapped dry rubbed, 2 hr wrapped (honey and brown sugar), 1hr or two with sauce unwrapped.
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

Dead👁Daniel

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 09:01:13 PM »
That's what I did John  ;D
Mes30
Smokin it 3D
Thermopop
Thermoworks dot

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 09:28:05 PM »
John, did you really use plastic wrap, instead of foil, in the smoker?  :o   If you must wrap, please use foil next time.  You're lucky the wrap didn't melt into the ribs!  (Or, maybe it did...you could have confused moistness with melted plastic?). 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: DeadDaniel gonna try the Johnny trigg RIBS!
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2016, 12:52:16 AM »
John, did you really use plastic wrap, instead of foil, in the smoker?  :o   If you must wrap, please use foil next time.  You're lucky the wrap didn't melt into the ribs!  (Or, maybe it did...you could have confused moistness with melted plastic?).

I know it sounds counterintuitive, but actually, it is common practice in commercial and restaurant kitchens when roasting in the oven to first cover with plastic wrap, then with foil. The plastic must be covered with foil though.

There are a few good reasons for using plastic under foil. One is to get a better seal to hold in moisture. Another is to keep the food from sticking to the foil, like in the case of cheese on a pan of lasagna for example. And a third is to keep the food from reacting with, and pitting the foil. Have you ever seen those little pinholes in the foil, and silver or black specks left on the food? Once again, lasagna is a great example. Or BBQ sauce. Foil can react with salt, acidic, or highly spiced foods. The broken down foil specks are aluminum salts, and apparently do not pose a safety hazard for consumption (even Reynolds wrap states this). Many people use plastic wrap or parchment paper under foil to prevent this.

It seems like the plastic would melt and be an absolute disaster, but it doesn't melt. The moisture under the foil keeps the plastic well below it's melting point. It does seem to get soft, and tear easily, but does not break down. It doesn't even stick to the pan. Most plastic wraps are safe under foil in oven temps up to 375. If you are concerned, you can use food service plastic wrap. I've actually put things covered with plastic wrap in the oven a couple times by accident, and was surprised to find them okay. I think it should be no problem to underwrap the ribs in plastic, especially considering you are at 225-235. I'd like to hear what other forum members who are chefs or have commercial kitchen experience might have to add to the issue.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 01:11:12 AM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Dead👁Daniel

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2016, 03:15:35 PM »
Lol yes wrapped in plastic!!!!! But then wrapped in foil but just for the trigg ribs because that's what he supposably does. The other rack was just in foil and when pulled out of smoker the texture on both racks seamed the same to me.
So I did the 3-2-1 method and the next time I think I'm just gonna do 3-2 the reason being is the trigg ribs were done and there was no gane. The trigg ribs when I pulled them had some heat-bite to them but no sweet like others have stated but the next day for lunch when reheated the heat was gone but really good.
The old mule mustard sauce when pulled had a little bite but not much and the mustard flavor was cooked out of it so next time with old mule it's gonna be 3-2 method as well and then sauced so I can enjoy the old mule mustard flavor.

The other half rack with the old faithful SWEET BABY RAYS sauce is good with the sauce cooked on or off.
When I cook some thing with out the bbq sauce on I always heat it up on the stove before I put it on.
Mes30
Smokin it 3D
Thermopop
Thermoworks dot

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2016, 07:14:41 PM »
Good to hear there was foil on top of the plastic, John!  That wasn't clear - I just saw all that plastic, and thoght "nah...surely not!" lol.  I know what Kari is talking about - just never seen anyone to it with BBQ.   ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: DeadDaniel gonna try the Johnny trigg RIBS!
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2016, 09:40:20 PM »
Good to hear there was foil on top of the plastic, John!  That wasn't clear - I just saw all that plastic, and thoght "nah...surely not!" lol.  I know what Kari is talking about - just never seen anyone to it with BBQ.   ;)

I haven't seen the plastic/foil thing done with BBQ either, but sounds like a good idea. BBQ sauce and spice rub could definitely react with foil. The non-stick foil seems to have some kind of coating on it, and I've found it doesn't react with food the way regular foil does. That's what I use when wrapping foods like that.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 11:20:22 AM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2016, 09:36:48 AM »
I've seen it done commercially for the reasons Kari stated.  :) I am not sure about using that method on a grill since you get a lot stronger radiant heat on the side facing the fire. You want the radiant heat to get the millard reaction similar to the torch attachment on sous vida meat but it doesn't play well with plastic.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN