Author Topic: Attempting first pastrami this weekend  (Read 7678 times)

noak

Attempting first pastrami this weekend
« on: March 01, 2018, 10:55:03 AM »
Last weekend my first ever smoke was a pork shoulder (turned out good but I could do better).

This weekend I am going to try my luck with a corned beef I just purchased from a big box store. Its an 11 pounder so I think I need to cut it in half to fit properly.

Anyone have any tips/tricks for smoking a pastrami before a newbie learns the hard way?

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Attempting first pastrami this weekend
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 11:25:24 AM »
Welcome noak from SE Arizona. I’ve never done pastrami but have done a lot of briskets, super easy. When you get a chance please head to the Introduction section and let us know a little about yourself. We also like first name. And enjoy your smoker. Dave
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 11:27:50 AM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 11:54:13 AM »
Biggest tip for smoking a corned beef is to soak it 12 - 24 hours in plain water. Store corned beef is very salty so soaking it leeches out some of the salt. My next tip is to take the seasoning packet that comes with it and grind it as part of your rub.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

barelfly

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 12:35:59 PM »
I would change the water out 3 times as well when soaking to help desalinate the corned beef. I’ve also read to go easy with salt when adding the rub when you smoke due to the level of salt in store bought corned beef.

Next time you want to make pastrami, there are some posts here that detail how to make it all at home, corned beef to pastrami that is very good!

But have fun making this!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

noak

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 01:00:17 PM »
Thanks for the tips so far. I'll post pictures and updates after the weekend.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 03:48:10 PM »
No salt in the rub that I've ever used for pastrami, ground pickling spice, garlic powder, black pepper, all over a mustard rub.  Smoke for about 4 - 5 hours and wrap in foil with some apple juice or beer, continue to cook at 250 until the meat reaches between 190 - 195 internal temperature.  Start doing a toothpick test to see if toothpick goes in and out of the meat with no resistance.  When that happens, wrap in towels and put in a cooler to rest for a couple of hours. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

noak

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 11:59:03 AM »
Pastrami done. I made a step-by-step album for anyone interested. Not bad for the first time! I'm loving this smoker!

https://imgur.com/a/DdzMU

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 01:10:16 PM »
Nicely done and well documented step by step. You might want to think about posting this under beef for others to find when looking for recipes.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

JustChillin

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2018, 01:34:27 PM »
Good job!! I will be smoking one for St Patrick's Day. Thanks for the post.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

Hank R

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2018, 01:56:03 PM »
That sure does look good and I bet tastes even better. ;D
Smokin-It #1
Napoleon Prestige gas BBQ with Cast Iron Charcoal/Smoker Tray
 30 year old Big Chief smoker (unused for the last 25)
 Snow blower lover Toro 1128 HD,
 collector of Oilcans
Princeton BC Canada

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2018, 11:30:56 PM »
Pastrami is not just smoked corned beef. It has it's own unique rub and flavor profile. Sometimes a different seasoning in the cure also. And in a perfect world, it would be made with beef navel, but a lot of deli's use brisket. What I've learned over the years is that the rub should be primarily black pepper and coriander. There are other ingredients you can add, like garlic powder, onion powder, ground mustard, etc, but coriander should be the dominant flavor in order to taste like pastrami. Do not add pickling spices to the rub (like allspice, clove, ginger, cinnamon, mace, cardamom) or that little packet that comes with it, or it will end up tasting like smoked corned beef, which is not terrible, but it's not pastrami in my book. Plus, pastrami is always steamed after smoking in order to make it meltingly tender. My 2 cents. Everyone probably has their own idea of what pastrami should taste like. I try to mimic the best pastrami I've had in NY and in my local NY style deli, which don't have that "corned beef" flavor defined by pickling spices.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 11:32:38 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 08:27:44 PM »
Great pics, Noak!  I have never seen a store-bought corned beef 11 lbs!  I would love to find one of those.  All I ever find are points or flats in the 4-5 lb range.  Where do you live?
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

noak

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2018, 10:05:19 AM »
New Jersey. This was from Restaurant Depot... one of the smallest ones they had and it barely fit!

jaka (Ken)

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2018, 08:04:17 PM »
SconnieQ mentions steaming the pastrami after smoking. How does one do this? By the way, the pastrami looks absolutely delicious. Good job Noak.
Ken Admire
Retired from Navy and also oil/gas industry.
Using #3D Smoker. Started with the 2D and
loved it but gave it to one of my sons when I
bought the larger 3D.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2018, 06:35:09 AM »
SconnieQ mentions steaming the pastrami after smoking. How does one do this? By the way, the pastrami looks absolutely delicious. Good job Noak.

Some people boil their pastrami after smoking, then steam (Katz's supposedly). I prefer to "steam" it in the oven (covered in foil with a little liquid). You could also do this part in the smoker. Ruhlman rules on such things:
"So this is what I do when I want both smoke and long slow cooking. I smoke the meat for a couple hours. Then I transfer it to a 200 to 250 degree oven to finish. With this pastrami, I would cook it in the oven for 30 to 60 minutes to bake the smoke on, and then cover it with foil and 1/2 cup of water and cook it for another 2 to 4 hours till it’s tender (the water is to make sure there’s plenty of steam)." –Michael Ruhlman

Here's the full recipe:
http://ruhlman.com/2011/09/how-to-make-pastrami/
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 06:37:05 AM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide