Author Topic: Best way to attach Maverick probe to monitor Smokin-It temp ?  (Read 4034 times)

Elliottbte

Best way to attach Maverick probe to monitor Smokin-It temp ?
« on: January 16, 2015, 11:45:07 AM »
I have the Maverick 733 and am interested to hear how others "attach" the probe for monitoring the smoker temp.  The unit includes a couple clips but is that the best way?  And if so, do you use both clips and where do you attach them, below the rack?  I'm getting ready to do a Brisket tomorrow and want want to set things up best way I can.  Thx ahead of time for all your ideas.
Brad from Chattanooga
Smokin-It #2

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Best way to attach Maverick probe to monitor Smokin-It temp ?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 12:02:23 PM »
I use the clamp and put on the top side of the top rack in the smoker.   You could try hanging it under the rack, but you don't want the temp probe to be touching the meat---that will throw off the temp readings.   To avoid possibly touching the meat, I keep the probe on the top rack and meat on a lower rack.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 12:08:40 PM »
I use the same method as Steve.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Elliottbte

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 12:36:00 PM »
I use the clamp and put on the top side of the top rack in the smoker.   You could try hanging it under the rack, but you don't want the temp probe to be touching the meat---that will throw off the temp readings.   To avoid possibly touching the meat, I keep the probe on the top rack and meat on a lower rack.

Great, makes sense.  What about for "Taller" pork butts if doing two on separate racks?  Seems like I might only have room for two racks in there?
Brad from Chattanooga
Smokin-It #2

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 12:51:08 PM »
Yes, with two racks of meat going, you might not be able to use the top rack for the temp probe.  In this case, you could put the probe on the top rack of meat, just be sure to have it away from the meat...maybe no closer than 2 inches.  So, I might put the meat toward the left side of the rack and the probe over on the right side.    The other option is not to use the smoker temp probe at all...after a few smokes you will see where the unit heats to when you set for 225F, so you could just trust the smoker to do its thing! 
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 12:56:21 PM »
Since you have the 733 that includes two meat probes, I would use your second probe to probe the second butt and just trust your smoker temp to be correct. The internal temp of the butts is much more important than monitoring the smoker temp fluctuations.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Elliottbte

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 01:52:09 PM »
Thanks, makes sense.  And yes, once I learn what 225 on the dial really means in the smoker, I can forget monitoring the temp all together.  And I understand I can "adjust" the knob if in fact there is a bit of offset.
Brad from Chattanooga
Smokin-It #2

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 02:38:23 PM »
Absolutely...I doubt you will have much of a difference, but remember that when you set for 225F, the smoker will have a variance of maybe +-15F as it overheats beyond 225 and then shuts off until the temp is below 225 before turning the heating element back on.  When I set for 225, I typically see box temps on my remote varying from 210 to 240...not to worry, they temp averages out fine at 225!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2