Author Topic: First Smoke D3, St Louis Ribs  (Read 3057 times)

Mr.Ed

First Smoke D3, St Louis Ribs
« on: June 23, 2016, 10:55:17 AM »
First smoke in my D3, 4 racks of St. Louis ribs.

I halved the 4 racks to make them easier to work with and removed silver skin on the bone side. I applied my rub that I've used in contest for years liberally covered with wrap and placed in the refrigerator over night.

Wood, I used about 2oz. Northern Red Oak, and 1oz. of Northern Sugar Maple. (Smokinlicious)

I set program one to 235* and trigger t (Time) at 6 hours. Small mistake I will get into below.
all other programs set to 0

My mistake was not checking for doneness but I wanted to do a no peek recipe based on time.

Well my family and friends liked them (They fell off the bone when eating them) and that is the problem. If your ribs fall off the bone they are over cooked. Your ribs should be cooked to the point that it takes a little tug to pull the meat from the bone. Most overcooked falling off the bone ribs give a slightly mushy feel and taste. 

I am going to check them from now on at the 4.5 hour mark. I bet a 5 hour cook would have been perfect on this cook.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 11:01:34 AM by Mr.Ed »
Mr.Ed from Winter Park, Fl
SI 3D WIFI,
Ex Superior SS1, Ex Lang 60, Ex FBA Competitor
NRA Life Benefactor Member
Vietnam Veteran

Smokin is 1% fact, 22% manipulation of the fact and 77% speculation of the manipulation.

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
Re: First Smoke D3, St Louis Ribs
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 02:47:27 PM »
Ed, the earlier check to see how your particular unit works is key. They also look like the longer cook time might have made them a littler drier than you wanted too. Was that the case? Did you use a water pan? I would have eaten all of them to "save" the guests.  :D Just sayin'......
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Mr.Ed

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 05:05:15 PM »
Yes, I will check the next cook for sure.

The photos look dry, but the meat was very moist, even the end cuts were moist.

I used a water pan next to the fire box.

SI 3D WIFI,
Vietnam Veteran

Smokin is 1% fact, 22% manipulation of the fact and 77% speculation of the manipulation.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 09:01:05 PM »
I feel sorry for your guests to have to endure such a tragedy! lol! ;)   Sometimes, we're our own harshest critics!  99.9% of folks couldn't distinguish what you mean about fall off the bone, pull from the bone, etc.., if their lives depended on it!  Fortunately, real BBQ for folks to enjoy is not a contest.  If they ate them all, and were happy to do so, ya' done good!! ;D   Adjust your times, until you're happy, but remember that your eaters don't care near as much as you do! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 11:05:13 AM »
+1
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Mr.Ed

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 09:33:24 PM »
UPDATE:  I just pulled out three more racks. Changed the wood a little to 2oz. Red Oak, 1oz. Hickory.  Added a touch more heat to my rub.

This time a 5 hour cook.

NAILED IT!  :D

SI 3D WIFI,
Vietnam Veteran

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 10:21:27 PM »
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!