Author Topic: Mrs. RG made me some Beef Ribs and Shorties  (Read 4071 times)

RG

Mrs. RG made me some Beef Ribs and Shorties
« on: April 04, 2016, 12:31:32 PM »
Y'all know it's not a one man show here at Casa de RG already. My wife likes to cook and I LIKE to let her cook :) I have no problem with her busting a move on any grill or smoker she chooses. She has free reign.

It's getting to be time to throw my beloved #3 back in the rotation. I feel like it's getting lonely over there, watching the other grills and smokers getting attention :P Its day is coming soon though. I actually tried to get my Wife to use it yesterday but she was hell bent on using both pellet poopers. Who am I to argue with the mother of my children?

She had a rack of beef back ribs and a package of boneless shorties that the wanted to cook along with the beef back ribs. She made an error though, as much as I hate to say it. She normally cooks shorties on her Keg, indirect using a diffuser and they come out excellent. The pellet poopers cook indirect technically but not in reality. The plate that sits over the burn pot and catches drippings and funnels them to the end to drip into a bucket DOES have hot spots and she didn't think that it would do what it did, which was to turn most of the shorties into briquettes lol!!

On the keg, or even the SI, she could've avoided this issue. She did wrap them in foil but she should've added a braising liquid to help keep from drying out. Live and learn. All of my cookers cook differently. Even all 3 of my kegs have their own nuances. With all of that said, it was still a wonderful meal! She made up some potato stacks and I made some garlic cheese bread using a sweet Italian loaf (not the best choice but it was what I had on hand) and my Son pitched in and made a Caesar salad from scratch. No one left the table hungry!

She got a little carried away on those beef rib pictures, they just look SO good I had to post all that she took, lol!

As always, thanks for looking!
Jason from Conyers GA

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
Re: Mrs. RG made me some Beef Ribs and Shorties
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 12:53:36 PM »
Nice lookin' meal Mrs. RG! Bummer on the shorties. BTW, what cut are they? I have never heard of shorties before.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 01:05:48 PM »
Jason, you eat good that's for sure! 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

RG

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 02:03:30 PM »
Nice lookin' meal Mrs. RG! Bummer on the shorties. BTW, what cut are they? I have never heard of shorties before.
https://youtu.be/n4nLvtzcVsk
Jason from Conyers GA

RG

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 02:04:35 PM »

Indeed I do. TOO good as of late. I lost a bunch of weight but the sad thing is I found it, lol. Time to get back on track and do it all over :(
Jason from Conyers GA

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 03:18:00 PM »

Indeed I do. TOO good as of late. I lost a bunch of weight but the sad thing is I found it, lol. Time to get back on track and do it all over :(
I've spent the last couple of months trying to recover from some surgery that didn't go well.  I haven't felt much like cooking nor eating so I've lost some pounds the hard way.  Anxious to get back to normal so I can "find them" again.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

RG

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 05:02:20 PM »

I've spent the last couple of months trying to recover from some surgery that didn't go well.  I haven't felt much like cooking nor eating so I've lost some pounds the hard way.  Anxious to get back to normal so I can "find them" again.

Sorry to hear of it Dave. I hope you recover quickly and fully and get back to cooking soon!
Jason from Conyers GA

drains

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 05:08:33 PM »
Well done Mrs. RG! Once again the pics are awesome. Super Dave I hope you get well soon!
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 07:20:38 PM »
Great pics, and great-looking meal! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2016, 09:25:12 AM »
Jason, my bad. I just had never heard of short ribs called shorts before.  :o
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

RG

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2016, 11:32:07 AM »
No problemo BB! Maybe I am just weird. Maybe? lol

I think that I've heard them called shorties, maybe it's a trend that I just started. Who knows? Either way, it's all good.
Jason from Conyers GA

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 08:00:58 PM »
Jason, my bad. I just had never heard of short ribs called shorts before.  :o

amazingribs.com and a couple other sites call short ribs "shorties", but don't know if it's common.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 09:56:47 PM »
Looks good Jason.  And since Kari mentioned amazing ribs, here is something for your reading pleasure.
http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_reviews_ratings/grill-smoker-combination-grill-smoker/weber-summit-charcoal-grill?
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

RG

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2016, 03:27:12 PM »
Looks good Jason.  And since Kari mentioned amazing ribs, here is something for your reading pleasure.
http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_reviews_ratings/grill-smoker-combination-grill-smoker/weber-summit-charcoal-grill?

Ridiculously overpriced IMHO!! I could buy a lot more toys for my arsenal for what they want! A Santa Maria Grill, TBE, a 3D. Hmmmm......so many options, lol.
Jason from Conyers GA