Author Topic: Hello Again for another fun Summer/Fall of Lazy Q  (Read 2677 times)

MNGuy1959

• Every Day is a great day for smokin'
Hello Again for another fun Summer/Fall of Lazy Q
« on: May 19, 2015, 05:45:14 PM »
Hello everyone that is new, and for the veterans (Tony, Greg, etc.), hope you had a safe and warm Winter.  Up here in Minnesota, I generally moth ball my Smokin-It #2 over the Winter months, and haven't a chance to use it yet this Spring, but now it is time to get reacquainted with my dear old friend.  I have referred many friends up here to the Smokin-It and they are all happy customers.  Still the best electric smoker (especially with the Auber WID). 

I hope you all have a great Memorial Day weekend! I plan on getting mine out and smoking some St. Louis ribs this Saturday.  It has been so long since I last used my smoker (last November for Thanksgiving) that I cant wait to try it again. 
Gene from Minnesota
Proud owner of Model #2, Auber, and Jerky dryer

The worst smoking results are still better than being at the office!!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Hello Again for another fun Summer/Fall of Lazy Q
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 07:49:52 PM »
Glad you finally thawed-out and joined us again, Gene!  Good to see you again! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 10:15:05 PM »
Welcome back from hibernation Gene. FYI, the SI #2 still works great in the winter. But it sure is easier to clean and handle in the spring/summer. Post some pics of you getting back into the game. Everyone likes to see pictures that make their mouth water.
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

Barrel99

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 02:28:50 PM »
Hey Gene, welcome back. Glad to hear you are getting back on track. Enjoy your smoke this weekend.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

MNGuy1959

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 11:42:06 AM »
Hi Guys!  Thanks so much.  I know I could use my SI #2 in the Winter, but I found it very difficult to clean and I had to replace my Auber as my electrical plug actually froze and broke the electrical socket.  It was somewhat of a disaster smoke, and I just decided to wait until warmer weather.  Glad to be back to discuss lazy q and techniques with all of you.  I really have learned so much from sharing and discussing different bbq techniques.  This is the best forum for anyone using an electric smoker. 
Gene from Minnesota

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 07:37:48 PM »
Gene,

I hear ya on the cord in the cold issue!  Those stock cords get stiff as a board in the cold!  I just "upgraded" the cord on the smoker, and Auber, to a true sub-zero cord.  I bought a 25' one at Lowe's.  Don't remember the brand, but it's guaranteed soft down to like -58° or something crazy...guess they should have just said "Guaranteed soft down to Minnesota temperatures!"  LoL!  I'll find out this winter how it works!  You can see the cord setup in the pic:  Short 3' one out of the smoker, and the rest wired into the Auber (this does require soldering).
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

MNGuy1959

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 10:23:31 AM »
Thanks Tony for the cord info.  I am going to get one of those.  Yes, it gets pretty cold up here in December.  You have to have the coolest looking smoker I have ever seen.  Do you have a thread of your paint project with your smoker?  I don't think I have seen a pic of your smoker since you painted it.  That is awesome.  I may have to do mine in Vikings Purple and Gold.  Great idea, and I am jealous :)
Gene from Minnesota

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 08:22:54 PM »
Tony from NW Arkansas