Author Topic: New User in VA  (Read 7295 times)

va_rider

New User in VA
« on: May 27, 2015, 10:57:56 AM »
Hey Folks!! I'm new around here. Just ordered my model #2 yesterday, and it should be here tomorrow!

For the last 4-5 years, I've been using my propane grill as a smoker by covering up vents and rotisserie holes with foil, and using stainless smoker boxes over the outside 2 burners and placing the meat over the center two burners that are off. While I've managed to make some good stuff like this, I was tired of having to foil up all of the holes in my grill and I know I'm not getting the best quality this way. Since we're moving into a new house, I figured this was a perfect time to upgrade to a proper smoker. I'm still hanging on to the propane grill for when my 3yo wants a hot dog, but considering that every time I fired up the grill, it was typically for a 6-8 hour smoking session, I should be saving quite a bit on my propane usage.

I look forward to talking with you folks here. For now, I'm going to spend the rest of my day at work reading through the forum.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2
Not a smoking newbie, but a Smokin-It newbie.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: New User in VA
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 11:14:04 AM »
Welcome from Delaware, Aaron!   You will love the #2 (I know I do!) and it will be much easier to operate that what you went through on the grill!   That's why we call this the land of 'lazy Q'!   Lots of good advice and recipes on the forum, so I think you will be busy today (and tomorrow) reading through the posts, but it will be time well spent!  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

va_rider

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 11:20:38 AM »
Ha! Lazy Q sounds about right.... I was about to get the XL Big Green Egg.... but this seemed much easier.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 11:43:32 AM »
Definitely easier than the BGE, although my neighbor has one and now has me pondering if I should try one!   The SI does not have near the prep work that is required for the BGE and I think you will find that they produce great Q!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 11:47:57 AM »
Welcome Aaron from Saint Augustine Florida.

You are going to really like your #2 smoker, not only will you have consistent and great smokes, but you will save money. One of my friends has a LP smoker and he uses a half bag of wood per smoke and lots of LP!

Greg

bboroshaff

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 04:01:11 PM »

You are going to really like your #2 smoker, not only will you have consistent and great smokes, but you will save money. One of my friends has a LP smoker and he uses a half bag of wood per smoke and lots of LP!

Greg

I just smoked my first brisket on my new #2 and was amazed by the flavor from just two little pieces of hickory.  It truly was Lazy Q.
Doug from Brownsboro Texas
Smokin It #2 + Weber 22" kettle grill

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 04:02:48 PM »

Greg

I just smoked my first brisket on my new #2 and was amazed by the flavor from just two little pieces of hickory.  It truly was Lazy Q.

Congrats Doug,

Greg

Barrel99

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 04:06:30 PM »
Ah..Aaron. Makes me smile to hear about " the old ways". This will be a new and wonderful experience for you. Enjoy it and best of Lazy Q to you.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

va_rider

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 05:55:44 PM »
Stopped on the way home to get some stuff to make strawberry Jam...  And as if some sign from above, Kroger had ribs on special...  $16 got me 3 racks. That'll be a good start to Saturday's smoking session.  Now maybe a couple chickens as well...  Or, I've got a side of sockeye salmon lying around. Is it a bad idea to do ribs and salmon at the same time?
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 06:18:00 PM »
I always try to smoke items that are close in time needed; I think ribs and salmon would be very different in the amount of time needed.  I have not done salmon, but I doubt it will take 5.5 hours like the ribs!  I would smoke separately.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

va_rider

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 07:30:36 AM »
Ah.... "Out  for Delivery".. The sweetest words I could read this morning.

I see your point on the ribs and fish. I think I'll do ribs and chicken instead.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2

Grampy

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2015, 07:57:08 AM »
Congratulations and Welcome, Aaron from SW Arkansas! You made a great decision on the #2. I think you will be very pleased with the great bbq these babies can turn out. Stay active on this forum. The people on here are very knowledgeable and eager to offer tips and advice. 
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

drains

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2015, 08:45:28 AM »
Welcome Aaron! Enjoy your #2 and ask questions. Everyone here is ready to share their experience with you. Happy smokin!
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

va_rider

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2015, 05:46:11 PM »
Got it here... Got it unpacked and doing the initial seasoning..  Out of curiosity I didn't listen to the instructions and I dropped a temperature probe into it..  Well  over 320+ degrees. That's normal for an empty smoker I assume?
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2015, 05:46:59 PM »
Yes, ignore the temp readings with an empty smoker...just sit back and enjoy the smell!   ::)
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2