Author Topic: Brisket in #1  (Read 2845 times)

JB

Brisket in #1
« on: June 04, 2015, 03:31:40 PM »
Hey guys thanks for your help with the pork butt on the other thread.  I have tried to post a pic and I am not sure where its gone.  It turned out awesome. 

Next Friday I am going to try my first brisket.  I am looking to pick one up around 7 pounds.  I have gone through the meat forum and was looking to see if anyone had any specific advice for the little smoker? 

My thoughts at this point are to brine it for 12 hours, then put a rub on it for 4 hours.  At that point load it up with 7oz wood at 225 degrees and let it work for 10 hours before resting for 2 hours.  That sound about right?

drains

Re: Brisket in #1
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 04:43:11 PM »
You might want to rethink the amount of wood you are planning on using. Seven ounces would be about twice as much as you need in my opinion especially if it is hickory or another wood with a strong flavor, like mesquite. Think smaller is better and if you have a means to weigh it, well that would be even better. In fact I strongly urge you to buy a digital scale, if you don't have one already, because eyeballing it and guessing will ruin your best efforts sooner or later.  I would think no more than 2.5 to 3 ounces would be enough, maybe too much, depending on the type of wood. These smokers are built so tight that they are very efficient and don't need much wood because of it. I know I usually use hickory because it is plentiful here and if I used 7 ounces in my #3 my food would be bitter and thus inedible. I just smoked two 8 pound butts and only used six ounces of hickory which turned out great. Others will chime in with their experience i'm sure. Thats why I come here often, to learn. This may help also http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2151.0 Happy smokin!
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

Walt

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 05:03:10 PM »
For flats about that size, I use between 5 & 6 oz combined of hickory, pecan or oak mixed with apple or cherry. Gameplan is sound. Pull between 195 & 203. I like to inject, as well.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 05:10:55 PM »
Sounds like a good plan, I did an 8lb recently and it took 11 hours to reach 195 degrees.
I used the following woods:
3.5 oz. Acadian Oak
2 oz. Hickory
.5 oz. Mesquite

Greg

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 07:43:46 PM »
Personally, 5-6 oz of mesquite, or mesquite/hickory.  Beef, unlike pork, can take a lot more smoke, and needs (imo) a bolder smoke profile than pork or poultry.  My wife is not a big "smoked" food nut, but she has never complained about the smokiness of my brisket - and the clean plate proves she wasn't faking it! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!