Author Topic: My #1 is on the way, for delivery tomorrow...  (Read 13270 times)

smythe

My #1 is on the way, for delivery tomorrow...
« on: August 12, 2014, 10:10:41 AM »
...so I will try a first smoke this weekend.  But a question for all you old hands.  What accessories do I need to assemble?  Not sure yet what meat I'll get, but I already have an internal temp probe and heavy duty aluiminum foil.  I will make or buy some rub.  I'll buy a dedicated spray bottle for misting meat with apple juice or whatever.  Does that sound good to go, or am I overlooking some tool thats really good to have on hand?

tbcop-is-smokin

• Proud Owner of Smokin-it #3
Re: My #1 is on the way, for delivery tomorrow...
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 11:44:37 AM »
I learned the hard way...my first smoke was Brisket...Too much wood..Everyone here told me to get a digital scale to weigh the wood. I have one now and use it on every smoke...These smokers require very little wood.
You will enjoy your #1...You will learn a lot here because these folks here know their business...
Happy Smokin....
Tony
Good Smokes comes from Happy Trees...
Protect Our Forest...
Vietnam Vet
Tony from Virginia...

jdiver

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 11:57:05 AM »
There isn't much you need. I've never done any misting as I don't want to open the door. Get some of the very small aluminum foil loaf pans, the tiny ones. Add some juice or water in there, and set next to the wood box. And there's your humidity.

So when it arrives, unpack, clean it out of any tom packing chips. Then do an initial burn in.

Have fun. I sure am.
-JD-
Big Green Egg and SI2
Love Pork

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 12:09:22 PM »
Definitely get a scale as Tony mentioned.

The amount of smoke is very subjective and you will find many different opinions here. The best thing to do is try some different amounts until you find what is right for you. But, here are some rough guidelines for how much wood to use (all in ounces):

Ribs - 2-3
Chicken - 2
Turkey - 2-3
Brisket - 5-6
Pork Butt - 5-6
Fish - 2

I rarely open my smoker during a smoke and it is so airtight and keeps moisture in that I don't really think the spritzer is really necessary unless you want to use it impart some flavor on the meat once you pull it out. But the Smokin-It smokers are unless stick burners and other less than air tight smokers that need additional moisture applied.

One thing I would get is a bunch of tin mini-loaf pans as this is really the best way to add extra moisture to your smokes. Fill one of them with Apple Juice/Cider, Beer, or even water and set the pan right up against the smoker box. I pretty must use a water pan for all of my smokes except for fish, poultry, jerky, and snack stix.

If you plan to do any jerky or snack stix, I would recommend getting a James Jerky Dryer as the airtightness of these smokers is a detriment when you are purposely trying to dry out a meat like a jerky or a snack stick.

These are the main things. Once you get going, you may wan to add an Auber Control Unit. But this is not necessary to have great smokes. It just gives you a bit more versatility.

Well, I don't want to bombard you with too much stuff, but this should get you started. We'll see what others have to contribute as well.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

smythe

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 12:18:59 PM »
Interesting.  Thanks for the hints so far.  Believe I will delete the mister and add the small foil pans.  Much appreciated.

es1025

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 12:38:10 PM »
I think you have it. I would caution with brisket and the amount of wood. I typically go about an ounce of wood per pound of meat.

You need a cooler for resting your meat as well.

Welcome to the club.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

jdiver

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 01:52:45 PM »
I think this is something we can discuss at length elsewhere. But the "how much wood" depends on so much. As you said, taste, sure. But type of wood as well.

I did a Butt with Peach wood. Well I added quite a bit of wood, didn't measure. I'll pull out a scale and measure. But I put quite a bit. It has a pleasing, light smoke. I bet if I used Hickory I'd use less, or gotten quite a bit more smoke flavor.

But as a place to start, that chart looks very helpful.
-JD-
Big Green Egg and SI2
Love Pork

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 01:56:40 PM »
Yeah, it is just a general guide for sure. But, I stick pretty close to it no matter what wood I use. But to be fair, I mainly use Hickory, Cherry, and Oak.

I have been meaning to get some Fruit based wood from Fruitawood, but haven't done it yet. I have soooo much flipping Hickory and Cherry that I haven't been in a rush to buy more.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

jdiver

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 02:09:25 PM »
It's easy to become a wood or gadget junkie...

One other item that again you don't need to get smoking, but might want. A briner bucket. It's a bucket with a drop down partition to push the meat under the brine. Makes it a snap. Again not needed, but I've used it and like it. The jr just fits in my fridge.

http://www.thebriner.com
-JD-
Big Green Egg and SI2
Love Pork

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 03:20:57 PM »
All good advice here, and I second every post!   For brining, you can also easily use 2gal zip lock bags for small things like chicken thighs or chicken halves.   I have used them for Boston Butts as well.   However, I recently purchased a 2gal Tupperware container and this is working great for everything...thanks to someone who posted this option in the forum a months back!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 03:48:20 PM »
I would love a briner, but just couldn't justify the cost. Maybe if I ever get to a Cabelas store I'll get one so I can avoid the shipping.

I too bought a 18qt food grade container from my local restaurant supplier for less than half of the price of The Briner, but have used 1 and 2 gallon bags successfully as well.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

bigbassnutt

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2014, 05:39:04 PM »
I would recommend a set of bear claws, they are great for putting bigger pieces of meat in and out of the smoker and you can also pull pork with them. I also use my briner jr. alot. One other thing, if you don't have a stand, get one! Mine is so much nicer to use now that its off the ground. I found a stainless steel table with an adjustable shelf and large wheels on ebay that works great.
Mike in Indiana
Smokin-it Model 2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2014, 07:52:50 PM »
Welcome to the club, Smythe!

Sounds like everyone has you pretty-well lined out!  A couple of nice-to-haves are a good pair of BBQ tongs, and a set of BBQ gloves (the PVC type, so you can handle the hot meat with your hands). 

When you do your initial seasoning, don't add any foil - save that for cooking.  Also, don't bother trying to monitor the internal temps of the smoker, as they're all over the page when the smoker is empty.  Just throw in 3-4 of the hickory dowels that come with the smoker, leave the shelves out, close the door, set to 250 and let 'er rip for 4 hours!

As far as meat, I recommend a bone-in Boston butt for pulled pork for the first smoke!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

jdiver

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2014, 08:18:35 PM »
I have the Bear Claws and never thought of them for picking up the large hunk of meat, but hey, why not. But they sure make quick work of the Butt when I go to shrewd it.

I love having the Stand. Sure wouldn't mind if it had a flip up shelf in the front, just below the door. So you can open the door and have a shelf there in front of you...
-JD-
Big Green Egg and SI2
Love Pork

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2014, 08:26:14 PM »
Fortunately, the #1 is light enough that you can set it on any sturdy table.  I keep mine on an old miter saw table. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!