Author Topic: No Ash  (Read 2044 times)

COsmoker

No Ash
« on: July 12, 2020, 05:23:07 PM »
Hey guys, I just fired up my #1 for the first time and I used 3 chunks of wood per Tony's instructions.

1) I was expecting ash but didn't get it. Attached is a picture.
2) I also noticed that the firebox is significantly to the left of center (notice the hole), though I'm not sure it was initially.
3) You can also see that the firebox lid doesn't quite close properly.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 05:25:20 PM by COsmoker »

barelfly

Re: No Ash
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 09:47:31 PM »
Welcome to the board!

Here are a couple of thoughts:

1 - that’s exactly what you want with the wood, but at times you will get some ash.
2. My firebox is off just a bit, not much. It shouldn’t compromise your cooks as is. I didn’t really notice it much in your picture.
3. The firebox lid not closing? I see the wood is in the middle of the box, but sometimes the chunks will keep it from completely closing. When you take it out of the box and no wood, does it close? Wondering if there is something on the back of the smoker that could be hanging up on the overhang?

But otherwise, you are on your way to lazy q! You have the start of a good seasoning inside the box!

Hope that helps!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 06:30:47 AM »
I am the same as Jeremy, my wood after a smoke looks like your picture.   The only time I see ash is on long smokes. 
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

COsmoker

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 04:13:56 PM »
Thanks guys for the quick reply!

The lid doesn't close all the way without the wood in there. The picture you see with the gap on the right is without wood in. Will that affect the smoke? I noticed during my initial smoke that I didn't have much smoke coming out of the top for the second 2 hours.

Thanks again! Kyle from CO.

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 08:19:33 PM »
The lid doesn't close all the way without the wood in there. The picture you see with the gap on the right is without wood in. Will that affect the smoke?

Nope... that won't matter in the slightest.  Many (most?) folks cover the top of their fire box with foil so they can just remove the foil after a messy smoke.  That little gap will leave room for your foil.  :)  Foil or not, it seriously won't matter...  the lid is primarily to keep gunk from falling on the wood and seeping down onto the element.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2020, 06:28:59 AM »
+1 on what Larry said!    I get the heaviest smoke on the first/second heating cycles.  After that, it is pretty much thin.

I highly recommend covering the wood box top with foil, as well as the bottom of the smoker (poke a hole for drainage).   Covering the box and floor with foil makes the clean up a whole lot easier!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2