Author Topic: Spatchcock and Old Bay  (Read 9124 times)

TexasSMK

Spatchcock and Old Bay
« on: October 04, 2015, 08:00:27 PM »
Was inspired by many, most recently by Leah from North Texas--Tyarra, so decided to do a yard bird. 
Spatchcock Chicken 4.75 lbs
Brine: 1/4 Kosher Salt, 1/4 cup Old Bay, 1/2 cup brown sugar.  1 Gal water.  Left in brine 3 hours.
Rinsed well, and pat dried.  Rubbed lightly in Old Bay.
Smoked with Apple wood, about 3 ounces at 250 until 165 IT--right at 3 hours.
Best chicken I ever had.  Skin a little rubbery, but the Chicken was super moist.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 08:02:13 PM by TexasSMK »
Dale from NE Texas--USMC Retired--Living in Havre de Grace, Maryland.  SE#2 with Auber

smokeasaurus

Re: Spatchcock and Old Bay
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 08:04:34 PM »
In an electric smoker, I look at the skin as protection for the meat underneath. My Dr. would probably be happy about that...... ;)
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
Gabby Grills Santa Maria and Rotisserie
PK Grill
Blackstone 36 inch Flat Top

mizzoufan

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 08:34:45 AM »
Yep, that's about all you can do with poultry skin unless you pull the bird a bit earlier and broil for 10-15 minutes in the oven
Steven from KCMO

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 08:45:45 AM »
Well done, Dale!  Nice looking chicken!    Yes, the skin will be rubbery, but you could send the chicken to  the gasser when finished for a high temp sear on the skin.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

prudentsmoker

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 10:47:22 AM »
Old Bay is one of America's best kept secrets. I have used it on shrimp, but never thought of it for smoking chicken. I will now though and thank you for sharing.
Brian from Wichita

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 10:04:50 PM »
Looks great, Dale!!  Curious about the brine...1/4 cup of salt for a gallon/3 hour brine is pretty light.  Is there a lot of salt in the Old Bay?  Nothing wrong with a weak brine, mind you, just curious about the time.  I go 1 cup kosher salt/gallon for 3 hours on chicken. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

TexasSMK

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 07:54:52 AM »
Old Bay is one of America's best kept secrets. I have used it on shrimp, but never thought of it for smoking chicken. I will now though and thank you for sharing.
I love Old Bay on Chicken, really good on rotisserie chicken too.
Dale from NE Texas--USMC Retired--Living in Havre de Grace, Maryland.  SE#2 with Auber

TexasSMK

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 08:05:02 AM »
Looks great, Dale!!  Curious about the brine...1/4 cup of salt for a gallon/3 hour brine is pretty light.  Is there a lot of salt in the Old Bay?  Nothing wrong with a weak brine, mind you, just curious about the time.  I go 1 cup kosher salt/gallon for 3 hours on chicken.
Sorry for the delay Tony.  I am a little brine "scared" the first couple times I have over salted my smoke, so thought I would cut it back.  I picked up the 3 hour brine from someone in the forum. I have never had a more moist chicken.  Going to do it again tomorrow for my visiting daughter!

prudentsmoker

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 10:30:53 AM »
Regarding rubbery chicken skin- Harbor Freight has a butane torch for $9.99, of which I have one. I am going to try hitting the chicken with the flame and will let you guys know how it works out.
Brian from Wichita

Grampy

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2015, 10:40:56 AM »
Dale, nice job! Great color on the chicken. If you want moist chicken brining is definitely the way to go. You will never go back now that you have seen the difference.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

Donmac

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2015, 12:16:18 PM »
Dale, nice job! Great color on the chicken. If you want moist chicken brining is definitely the way to go. You will never go back now that you have seen the difference.

+1
Don from New Hampshire, 3D & #1 Owner

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2015, 12:40:16 PM »

+1

+2

Greg

TexasSMK

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2015, 06:32:02 AM »
Regarding rubbery chicken skin- Harbor Freight has a butane torch for $9.99, of which I have one. I am going to try hitting the chicken with the flame and will let you guys know how it works out.
Sounds good--just happen to have one too.  Let us know your results. 

TheLocNar

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2015, 12:15:29 PM »
Doing my first chicken in my #2. Some softened butter, salt, Old Bay, low sodium soy sauce under the skin, extra virgin olive oil (EVO) and Old Bay on the outside. Cherry wood. No time to brine today, so we will see how this goes.

A little bit of water in a foil pan at the bottom. I have a bernzomatic torch so I'll hit the skin after I pull it out. We will see!
PBC
SI #2
Chicagoish

prudentsmoker

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2015, 09:12:27 AM »
I basically did the original recipe, but used 1 cup kosher salt (as per Tony’s suggestion) and did not spatchcock (may have been Tony’s suggestion also), brined for about six hours and smoked in apple. My wife and I both thought it was the best smoked chicken we had ever had. The leftovers made for some tasty fajitas also.
I was asked to report on my Harbor Freight butane torch. It might have worked too well. You could see the skin instantly tighten up, but you have to be careful not to burn the chicken. I would think that with a little practice you could get it down.
Many thanks to Dale for a recipe "good enough for company". Keep them coming.
Brian from Wichita