Author Topic: My sous vide Anova is dead  (Read 2950 times)

Mr.Ed

My sous vide Anova is dead
« on: April 11, 2018, 01:46:54 PM »
Purchased my Anova wifi model 23 months ago. I use it about once a week. Two days ago during a cook, it took its last breath.  It's wasn't a wifi problem, the whole unit shut down. First I thought the breaker was tripped. No, the outlet still had 120 volts. To verify I plugged it into another outlet, still dead. 
I let it cool down, checked the plug and cord. Re submersed it and it still was dead.
I contacted Anova they offered $25 off a new one with proof of purchase being it was past the one year warranty.

Well, I just purchased a cheap manual operated Power Precision Cooker at Sams for $59.99 on sale this month. I never used the Anova wifi much even though it was nice.
I have the cheapo sous vide running now and it is holding temperature well. Time will tell how this one holds up. I am disappointed in the Anova, but electronics can go anytime.

If anyone knows of a refurbisher I would probably send it in for repair if the price was reasonable.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 01:53:18 PM by Mr.Ed »
Mr.Ed from Winter Park, Fl
SI 3D WIFI,
Ex Superior SS1, Ex Lang 60, Ex FBA Competitor
NRA Life Benefactor Member
Vietnam Veteran

Smokin is 1% fact, 22% manipulation of the fact and 77% speculation of the manipulation.

barelfly

Re: My sous vide Anova is dead
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 10:26:22 AM »
Two years? Hmmmm. My first one went bad after 30-40 days. The display went out but was still useable. I purchased thru Amazon so was able to send back for a swap. I did purchase a 3 or 4 year replacement plan on it.

Hope the new one works out for you. Sure do like these machines!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 11:31:11 AM »
Sous Vide is something that I have given some thought to and my wife and I just cannot see it ever entering out kitchen. Maybe someday. Still we are intrigued.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 09:45:47 PM »
Mine is still going strong after a couple years. Sometimes using several times a week, and then not for a few weeks. But I can see how such a gadget might die unexpectedly. Don't think I could live without one now, but I also rarely use the WiFi. Sous vide requires little monitoring and is not time sensitive, so WiFi monitoring is not that important.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 12:52:54 AM »
Got a tad bored tonight and started prowling the web.  I  stumbled across this while reading about different makes and what they cost.   This unit is made in San Francisco. Thought I wound pass the link on.  A whole 'nother take on meals shipped to your house.  Enjoy. 
https://souschef.nomiku.com/menu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeeePv_y1dc
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 01:12:13 AM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 07:19:40 PM »
Mine is a couple of years old, and sees a lot of action (doing a whole turkey breast, as we speak).  There are lots of them out there now, and I'm sure some good ones.  I'm just partial to the Anova as one of the pioneers of the home unit that is easy to use.

Pretty creative home meal idea, Dave!  If people only knew they could do the exact same thing a LOT cheaper!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

cookingdude555

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2018, 04:10:39 PM »
sorry to hear.  my anova wifi version is still going after 18 months.  the bluetooth version I got on sale is about 1 year old.  although I wanted wifi on it, I find it is a rarely used feature.  having the controls on the device is so convenient compared to some that are wifi only.
John - Utah

cjd82187

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 06:24:28 PM »
That sucks =(

I probably only use mine a few times a month, but even that comes and goes in waves.  I've had it for at least 3 years now, still going strong. Cooking some steaks right now while my smokin-it #2 is doing its initial seasoning.
- CJ
Smokin-It Model #2