Author Topic: Using the 3d More Effectively  (Read 3202 times)

Napabbq

Using the 3d More Effectively
« on: November 05, 2016, 04:43:56 PM »
I have used the 3D twice now...once with ribs and once with chicken and had the same issue...everything turned black from the smoke.  With the chicken, the skin was inedible.  I'm using apple wood chunks and keeping the temperature at about 200.  Is there a way to avoid everything turning black in the smoker?

rettaps

Re: Using the 3d More Effectively
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 12:04:38 AM »
What?
Titus
Elkton, SD
3D Smokin-it

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 01:19:38 AM »
How much wood are you using?  You only need a couple of ounces for an entire smoke. Depending upon the item being smoked, it's quantity or size, and the type wood being used, 2 to 6 ounces of wood should be plenty.  If you are using more than that, that could be your problem.  Also wood from the big box stores is not very consistent in quality.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 01:33:30 AM »
If your wood is too dry, it can catch file instead of smolder, and give you a black coating. Big box wood chunks are usually way too dry. Many of us here order the 3 wood variety box of double filet chunks from smokinlicious.com. It is well worth it. They do not have apple though. My favorites are cherry, hickory, red oak, and maple. Also agree that you might be using too much wood. You really want to use a scale, and weigh your wood. Here's a guide to woods and amounts.

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2151.0
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 01:14:44 PM »
This really sounds like big box wood that is starting on fire.

The others have posted some good advice already. These smokers are very efficient with wood and you only need a few ounces. Check out the guide that Kari posted the link to as this will give you a better idea of how much wood you should be using.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.