Author Topic: Small brisket success.  (Read 1693 times)

jaka (Ken)

Small brisket success.
« on: May 20, 2018, 07:24:37 PM »
I bought a small brisket from a local butcher shop so that I could try my hand at smoking brisket without wasting a fourth of the cow. The brisket was around 8 lbs. after trimming. I mustardized it, rubbed it with "Head Country Sweet and Spicy Championship Rub" and stuck it in the fridge for a couple of hours. I then smoked in my #1 middle rack at 220F with my meat probe set to alarm at 200F. I spritzed it with apple cider vinegar at 4.5 hours. Started at 0830 and pulled it at 1700 when the 200F alarm went off. (8.5 hours). Wrapped in foil and let rest for an hour. Oh my goodness. Tender and juicy with an absolutely wonderful flavor. Best brisket I've ever eaten. My son-in-law had smoked a large brisket in the same smoker a few weeks ago using "Head Country Original" rub. He smoked it at 225 for about 12 hours with a finish temp of 190F. It was good but not spectacular. I really like the original rub on ribs; both baby back and spare ribs but not on brisket. By the way, I used 2 oz. of hickory and 1.5 oz. of cherry wood for the smoke on my small brisket. Also made the whole place smell really good for awhile.
Ken Admire
Retired from Navy and also oil/gas industry.
Using #3D Smoker. Started with the 2D and
loved it but gave it to one of my sons when I
bought the larger 3D.

jaka (Ken)

Re: Small brisket success.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 07:37:07 PM »
I forgot to mention that I added a small aluminum bread pan with 1/2" (appx.) of apple cider vinegar on each side of the firebox before starting the smoke.
Ken Admire
bought the larger 3D.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 07:53:52 PM »
Nice job Ken. Sometimes a rub can either make or break a nicely done chunk of meat.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 09:14:45 PM »
190 is too low in my opinion for brisket. Brisket benefits from higher temps, which is maybe why your son's was so-so. I like to go 195 in the flat, and 200-205 in the point. You will find different opinions on this forum though. Not as much for brisket, but when you get into butt, the opinions vary widely for final temps.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

jaka (Ken)

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 09:37:05 PM »
Thanks Sarge and SconnieQ. Your opinions matter and I follow whatever you post with real interest. I've only been smoking for a little while and have tried both baby back and spare ribs. Sorry, but I'm now hooked completely. Loving this smoker.
Ken Admire
bought the larger 3D.