Author Topic: Smoked chicken wings with Jerk & Texas BBQ Rub!  (Read 3431 times)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Smoked chicken wings with Jerk & Texas BBQ Rub!
« on: December 30, 2017, 11:16:15 AM »
I used wings from Costco and I think they were the best yet. They were juicy and had just the right amount of heat!

Ingredients:
36 chicken wings
1 T. Grace Jerk Seasoning
3 T. Olive Oil
3 T. yellow mustard

Seasoning:
Texas BBQ Rub

Brine:
1-gallon water
1 cup kosher salt
½ cup brown sugar

Wood:
2 oz. pecan

Brine the chicken for 3 hours in the refrigerator, remove and then rinse. Combine Jerk seasoning, olive oil and mustard in a 2-gallon zip lock, add the chicken and put in the refrigerator overnight.

When you are ready to smoke, remove the chicken and place on the smoking rack. Sprinkle the top of the chicken with the BBQ rub (I just do one side, if you want it a bit hotter you do both sides).

Place in smoker at and smoke at 250 degrees for 2 hours, pull and place on a hot grill for about 3-4 minutes per side, until crispy. 

barelfly

Re: Smoked chicken wings with Jerk & Texas BBQ Rub!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 11:21:34 AM »
The finished wings look phenomenal Greg!

Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 11:24:43 AM »
Thanks Jeremy,
I made them for New Years Eve, but I had to have some for lunch today!
Best Greg

pargolfr2003

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 09:07:27 PM »
Greg if those tasted half as good as they look then that was some good eatin!
Tim D
Fayetteville, NC
My Tool Kit:
Smokin It #2
Weber Kettle
LOTS of cold beer and/or wine

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 11:28:55 AM »
Greg if those tasted half as good as they look then that was some good eatin!
It amazing just a few ingredients and the taste is always spot on.
Best Greg

Roostershooter

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 05:44:29 PM »
They look great!  Wings are on my list.

ChicagoRex

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 02:50:45 PM »
Hi Greg,
Thanks for this guideline.  I made 2 bags of Costco wings.  I doubled your brine recipe.  I use a 5 gallon bucket with a lid on it as my brine container.  I did these for a big superbowl party.  The cool part is that I was able to smoke them the day before, then put them in the fridge.  I grilled them the morning of the Superbowl then put them in a big foil pan.  I made a mix of bbq sauce, buffalo sauce, and pepper plant hot sauce.  I coated them after coming off the grill and put them in a warming oven.  They were a big hit.  I smoked them in 2 batches in the number 2.  My seasoning was a mix of a weber Kick N Chicken and famous Dave's Chicken seasoning.  I really dig the simple brine and love Pecan wood.  Due to the smoker load, I used 4 ozs of wood.  Of course, I made way too much, but lots of people are happy about that!  Thanks again.  This was very helpful.
Dirk from Elgin, IL
Smokin-it 2
Lynx Natural Gas Grill with side burners and rotisserie burner

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 04:14:15 PM »
Hi Greg,
Thanks for this guideline.  I made 2 bags of Costco wings.  I doubled your brine recipe.  I use a 5 gallon bucket with a lid on it as my brine container.  I did these for a big superbowl party.  The cool part is that I was able to smoke them the day before, then put them in the fridge.  I grilled them the morning of the Superbowl then put them in a big foil pan.  I made a mix of bbq sauce, buffalo sauce, and pepper plant hot sauce.  I coated them after coming off the grill and put them in a warming oven.  They were a big hit.  I smoked them in 2 batches in the number 2.  My seasoning was a mix of a weber Kick N Chicken and famous Dave's Chicken seasoning.  I really dig the simple brine and love Pecan wood.  Due to the smoker load, I used 4 ozs of wood.  Of course, I made way too much, but lots of people are happy about that!  Thanks again.  This was very helpful.

Dirk,
Glad they turned out, I also like the idea that you finished them the next day on the grill, I will keep that in mind!
Best Greg