Author Topic: Fire in wood box  (Read 1475 times)

Pettinger77

Fire in wood box
« on: February 09, 2020, 10:40:15 AM »
Hi guys,

I have had had my smoker since 2013 and never had an issue.  The firebox now starts on fire with flames everywhere every time i use it now.  Has anyone else had this issue or any thoughts?  i put new aluminum foil on the firebox after every use.  Are you supposed to wash the firebox after every use?

Lonzinomaker

Re: Fire in wood box
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 11:48:59 AM »
Check to make sure your thermostat is cycling. I had a bad thermostat and got combustion every time.
Also I made trays/boats out of flashing that I fit in to box that helps me get charcoal instead of ash.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

Hank R

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 12:21:39 PM »
I like you solution only happened once to me but will keep in mind as I think some of my wood is to dry.
Smokin-It #1
Napoleon Prestige gas BBQ with Cast Iron Charcoal/Smoker Tray
 30 year old Big Chief smoker (unused for the last 25)
 Snow blower lover Toro 1128 HD,
 collector of Oilcans
Princeton BC Canada

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 12:17:38 PM »
If your wood is too dry that could explain the issue, but Dave's idea is a very good one as well.

It would be helpful to know more of the details about your smokes.

For example:
  • What temp did you smoke at?
  • Do you ramp up your temperature or set it to the desired temp from the start?
  • Do you use your chip screen in the firebox, line your box with foil, or use foil boats on your wood?
  • What kind of wood are you using, and where did you get it?
  • What style of wood are you using? ie chunks, chips, saw dust, pellets, etc.
  • Do you know the wood's moisture content?
  • Do you have any indication of whether it is the wood that is catching on fire or if there is remaining fat drippings, chunks, etc from previous smokes that are catching on fire?
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

kona77

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2020, 01:25:28 PM »

I have had a 3-D for 4 years now and have not had any firebox issues. My first thought also was the wood and I see Greg/Dave covered some other topics.. I just use chunk wood from Smokelicious and only use chips (with screen) on my bacon smokes. Not sure if it matters but I do wet the store bought chips before I use them. I have never cleaned my firebox but I replace the alum. foil I put on top after every smoke. Hope I never have this issue but keep us posted on how you resolve the issue.. 
Gene from Wisconsin
SI newbie (3-D)
Live/breathe for the outdoors..