Author Topic: Bacon Virgin!  (Read 15324 times)

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
Bacon Virgin!
« on: December 07, 2016, 10:43:55 PM »
Okay Gents!  I've recently purchased a cold smoke plate which I've put off for a couple of years.  But Bacon has been the main reason I've gotten it.  I think I've read every bacon post on the bacon section. I think I'm headed to Costco tomorrow to pick up a pork belly to start what sounds like a 7 day brine.  The plan is to smoke it the following Friday night or Saturday... Depending on what life throws at me in the meantime.

What are your favorite tried and true bacon brines?  I may go for any that sound good.  A good maple bacon recipe may just push me over the edge!  Let me know what ya'll think is the schiznit!  I've got most ingredients laying around and I plan to start the brine either tomorrow night or Friday. 

Is a wet or dry brine better for bacon?
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: Bacon Virgin!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 11:05:46 PM »
I have only used dry cure. I think most people use dry cure for belly bacon, and wet cure for buckboard bacon. A couple threads, you've probably already read.

This link has my basic recipe. You can add whatever you like to it for additional flavorings. I like the basic maple bacon.
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=5582.msg51933#msg51933

This is Pork Belly (Brian's) recipe/technique. He mixes up a large amount of cure then uses the saltbox method to apply it.
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1797.0
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 11:20:54 PM »
I have mainly used wet brines just because of the ease of making the bacon (no daily flipping). But, I have seen several comparisons where the dry brined bacon almost always wins for true bacon flavor. Many say the wet brined versions taste more like a combination of bacon and ham which I kind of agree with.

If I were going to do my first bacon again, I would go with a dry brined bacon. In fact, I have been meaning to get another batch going again, but have been busy with Fall snack stick processing.

In addition to the threads that Kari posted, I would also take a look at these threads:
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2818
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=3034
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=4157
http://www.diggingdogfarm.com/page2.html
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 10:31:21 PM »
Thanks Gents! 

I picked up a nice belly tonight at Costco. I've read some people cut up the belly into large chunks.  Is that advisable?
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

SconnieQ

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 11:51:18 PM »
Thanks Gents! 

I picked up a nice belly tonight at Costco. I've read some people cut up the belly into large chunks.  Is that advisable?

If it is the big 9-10 pound slab from Costco, I cut mine either in half, or in thirds. You probably don't have to cut it at all, but it makes it a little easier to manage. Some things to consider are zip-lock bag size, sheet pan size (in case the bag leaks), refrigerator space, and how long you want your strips of bacon. And also whether you will be using a slicer or slicing by hand. Cutting it into thirds fits on my slicer. If I'm slicing by hand, I slice it in half to fit in the bags, and my #1 smoker. I would not cut it any more than you have to, or you will end up with more "end slices".
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 11:54:31 PM by SconnieQ »
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 12:09:57 AM »
Karl, I've got 2 gal and 2.5 gal bags so I think I can fit the whole thing in one. My slab is 9.5lbs.

I've got a dedicated bbq/beer fridge and I'll be slicing by hand.  Also, I have a model 3 so space is not an issue there. Are end pieces not desirable in the bacon arena?

Cutting in half sounds good to me!
The Woodlands, Texas

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 12:17:25 AM »
The ends tend to curl a bit which prevents you from getting that nice evenly sliced piece of bacon.

Since you are hand slicing, I would go with cutting kin half too.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SconnieQ

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 04:14:40 AM »
Karl, I've got 2 gal and 2.5 gal bags so I think I can fit the whole thing in one. My slab is 9.5lbs.

I've got a dedicated bbq/beer fridge and I'll be slicing by hand.  Also, I have a model 3 so space is not an issue there. Are end pieces not desirable in the bacon arena?

Cutting in half sounds good to me!

Judging from the 9-10 pound slabs I've bought from Costco, I assume it's kind of rectangular. So when you cut it in half, you will have 2 squarish hunks, which works well. The end pieces are just not as pretty, and not as even, so they don't fry up quite as evenly, but taste just as good. I use the first and last slices that don't look as pretty for beans or soup, or anything else you want to add smoky porky flavor to. I know at the famous Neuske's here in Wisconsin, if you are fortunate enough to live nearby and go to their Company Store, they sell the bacon end slices for around half price, or at least they used to. Just as good, but not consistent shapes. Nueske's bacon is what I strive to achieve (for a whole lot less money). Nueske's is the best bacon in my opinion.
https://www.nueskes.com/store/bacon/
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2016, 10:00:23 AM »
Started the brine last night with Karl's basic brine.  A week can't go by fast enough!!

Thanks Gents!
The Woodlands, Texas

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2016, 10:07:52 PM »
My local Sam's is finally selling bellies!  I really need to try this!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 11:57:00 AM »
Question:  when cold smoking, is it better to have the shelf with the bacon low and closer to the ice or should it be kept up top?
The Woodlands, Texas

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2016, 12:14:22 PM »
As far away from the heat as possible is my suggestion.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2016, 12:18:58 PM »
I'll be using a cold smoke plate... heat rises...

The Woodlands, Texas

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2016, 07:20:48 PM »
Question:  when cold smoking, is it better to have the shelf with the bacon low and closer to the ice or should it be kept up top?

You know what?  That's a really good question that I've never really thought about!  If you keep the belly right above the ice pan, it's bound to stay cooler than up high.  If it's up high, what heat gets past the ice will still be warmer.  Hmmm.... I'll let others ponder on that one, too!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2016, 07:39:02 PM »
Thanks Tony, for clarifying my thoughts!!!
The Woodlands, Texas