Author Topic: A-MAZE-N AMNPS Maze Pellet Smoker Vs. Firebox?  (Read 3287 times)

snakyjake

A-MAZE-N AMNPS Maze Pellet Smoker Vs. Firebox?
« on: October 19, 2019, 01:04:47 PM »
For hot smoking pork butt, does the A-MAZE-N AMNPS Maze Pellet Smoker offer a different/better smoke profile over the OEM firebox?

I'm very curious if a proper burning high quality wood pellets with the AMPS will provide a smoke profile closer to an offset?  Or better than the OEM firebox electric wood burning?

Thanks,
Jake
Jake from WA.
WSM, BGE, #3D

azbohunter

• I eat, therefore I hunt and fish!
Re: A-MAZE-N AMNPS Maze Pellet Smoker Vs. Firebox?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 03:09:35 PM »
I use the Amazing pellet smoker a lot when doing low temp smokes on fish. I prefer starting at 100 to 110 but whenever I do higher temp smokes like pork butt or chuck roast I do the OEM firebox and hardwood.
Following for other opinions!
Glendale, AZ 8 months of the year and then 4 months where ever the fish are biting best, usually along the Columbia River in Oregon.
I eat, therefore I hunt and fish! Hopefully I will learn to smoke some of it!

Norwester

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 04:15:17 AM »
I only use the AMNPS tray for cold smoking and the fire box for everything else.
Jeff from central Oregon

tomd8

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 11:27:58 AM »
Hi Jake - I have very limited experience using a pellet tube in my #3 but I did use it once to save a fish smoke I did where I couldn't get my chips to ignite on low heat.  For that I used a tube that I put into the SI firebox.  The tube I used had been flattened with the intent of standing the oval on edge to limit the amount of smoke with fewer lit pellets as I recalled reading some folks thought the tubes put out too much smoke.  As it turns out the flattened tube fits nicely inside the firebox laying flat.  I was pleasantly surprised that the tube stayed lit.  I say give it  try.  Not sure how much that helps.
Tom from New York
SmokinIt #3 analog, Masterbuilt analog, Little Chief

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 10:05:18 AM »
I only use my A-MAZE-N devices (I have both a tube and a maze) for cold/low smokes. For others the firebox with my Smokinlicious wood is just so much easier to use.

For me it is not worth the extra work, as I always go back to the Lazy-Q methodology. But, that doesn't mean the A-MAZE-N devices wouldn't work great. I will be interested to hear how this works if any of you guys give it a try. :)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.