Author Topic: Importance of smoking bacon to 150°?  (Read 3029 times)

va_rider

Importance of smoking bacon to 150°?
« on: August 27, 2016, 09:37:20 AM »
What's the importance of smoking bacon to 150? Last time I did this, it took 4+ hours.  The bacon was quite over smoked when it came off.  Why not just smoke for an hour or so then remove? The bacon will already be cured, so it shouldn't be an issue.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2
Not a smoking newbie, but a Smokin-It newbie.

allmann

Re: Importance of smoking bacon to 150°?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 09:28:43 PM »
I was wondering the samething as I was reading through all these post getting ready to do my first belly bacon
Kevin
Lacey NJ

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Importance of smoking bacon to 150°?
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 12:24:14 AM »
I usually cold smoke my bacon for 12-36 hours with my A-MAZE-N cold smoker, 12 hours at a time with a rest in the fridge between cold smokes. This gives a light steady smoke versus a really heavy short smoke.

Then I let the bacon rest on the fridge for 3-4 days uncovered before slicing. No matter whether you hand or electric slice your bacon, you will definitely want to throw the slabs in the freezer for an hour before slicing.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.