Author Topic: Looking to smoke some Salmon. What do I need? What do I need to do?  (Read 16558 times)

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
Re: Looking to smoke some Salmon. What do I need? What do I need to do?
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2019, 10:08:38 AM »
Kari,

I tried your dry brine method on some salmon last weekend and I don’t think I’ll be going back to wet brining salmon again!  It was excellent!

Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2019, 08:57:38 PM »
I'm late to the party, but that's great to hear! I think wet brining might be more practical for operations that have hundreds of pounds of salmon, but it can't beat the dry brine for pellicle and flavor in my opinion.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Ken

• Model 2wifi
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2019, 06:09:16 PM »
I've been having a lot of success with steelhead.  It's available at Costco for $8.99 in WA.  The flavor is mild with a lot of natural fat.  When I see all of my grandchildren fighting the adults for their share, I know it's a hit. 

I do a basic overnight brine of 4 tablespoons brown sugar and 1 tablespoon of kosher salt. That enough for 1 pound of fish. Rinse well and then several hours in the fridge on a rack until it forms a glaze.  I brush it with dark maple syrup just before it goes into the smoker at 170 and an IT of 138 and its done.

bogeyjim

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2019, 04:50:54 PM »
Picked up 2 lbs. of wild caught Sockeye salmon at Costco (skin on).  I started to attempt to remove the skin but quickly nixed that idea, as I could see the result was not going to be pretty. 

I then followed Walt & SconnieQ's suggestions on salt/brown sugar overnight  brine.  This morning rinsed thoroughly, patted dry and left in frig on wire rack for six hours.  I then lightly brushed with pure maple syrup (no fake stuff when you live in NH).

Used about 1 1/4 oz. each of alder & maple, set smoker just shy of the 170 mark, and target temp on my Smoke thermometer at 135.  I've got to somehow adjust my analog dial as the smoker temp was heading up toward 200.  I turned the dial back and monitored a swing of about 154-185.

Hit target at 1 hour 25 minutes.  Unfortunately the salmon had that white fatty substance on the surface (which I wiped off with a paper towel).  Obviously need to keep the temp down more next time.  Tried a bite and it was tasty, just a bit dry.  Also noticed my wood had only charred.

So a few questions oh wise ones:  Shorten the Smoke time next time out?  And on the wood, used Smokealiscious pieces that were each about 3" long and 1" square in an aluminum "boat" inside the firebox.  Should I split the wood pieces in half next time?, ditch the "boat" and just load in the firebox???

Sorry this has turned into a novel, just want to become better at this hobby!
Jim in The Granite State

Walt

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2019, 06:16:04 PM »
For low temp cooks like this, I only use chips. Not enough heat or time to use chunks, no matter where its purchased. Like you said, the heat apparently got a bit too high if the albumin was visable on the surface. 45 min to an hour is all it usually takes to reach 135 IT (moist & flakey). Keep @ it, you'll perfect it before long. Good luck...
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

barelfly

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2019, 08:53:09 PM »
Thought I’d post in here, since I used the same method.

This method turns out great smoked salmon! Smoked at a temp of 170* until salmon hit 135*. Used apple wood and a sweet blend of chips. Just went with the 4:1 ratio dry rub over night, rinsed and dried, then 5 hours in fridge to form pellicle. Didn’t add any seasoning prior to smoke, just want the salmon and flavor from the cure. After it smoked, I wrapped it in plastic wrap and letting it sit in ththe fridge until we eat it.

Should be good! As past results have been great!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

polarlys

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2019, 02:23:15 PM »
Hi Walt.   Roger from NJ here again.   Just yesterday I did some hot smoked salmon following your procedure and was very satisfied with the end result.   I've always done cold smoke and serve it with cream cheese on a bagel or English muffin or sliced with scrambled eggs.   I had a small piece of very nice quality Norwegian salmon trimmed down to just a nice loin.   I've never seen it packaged like that but this was brought from Norway by a friend when she was visiting in September.   Anyway,   Thanks for the suggestion and recipe.  Not that I will change my tastes but I definitely will make it again.   

How do most people consume the hot smoked style ????    Somehow I just don't see it as being the main item on a dinner plate but more in some form of an appetizer or snack.   I'd appreciate any suggestions.

ThanX,
Roger from NJ
Roger from NJ
Somerset, NJ
retired Police Officer
retired Air Nat'l. Guard
US Army '69-'72 (20th Engineers Vietnam)
SI-3d

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2019, 04:16:19 PM »
Crackers and beer with a side of smoked cheese is my favorite way to consume smoked salmon.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

polarlys

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2019, 01:02:41 PM »
Now I certainly would't argue with enjoying my smoked salmon like that any day.   But in addition I was thinking of how it would fit into a main course for a meal ???   Just yesterday we finished off my trial batch with scrambled eggs for breakfast.   Not bad at all.   

I can only do so much snakkkin  so looking for other ways to use it.   How bout in fish taco's.   I'll make some more and give that a try.

ThanX for the suggestions.   Keep 'em coming
Roger from NJ
Somerset, NJ
retired Police Officer
retired Air Nat'l. Guard
US Army '69-'72 (20th Engineers Vietnam)
SI-3d

Walt

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2019, 03:15:57 PM »
Roger,

We eat it as a main protien with roasted vege or as a topper for caesar salad. My favorite thing it to toast a croissant & add cream cheese, capers & red onion. Fresh spinach or avacado are also nice add ons.

Somewhere on this site was a post about salmon dip in a crisp piece of bacon that was formed around carrots as a mold. They were awsome.

Hope that helps...
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Ken

• Model 2wifi
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2019, 01:19:51 PM »
I was in the same situation about this time last year.  I had a new model 1 and wanted to smoke some fish.  This forum was the perfect place to start as they do such a good job of focusing on the basics.  The basic smoker temp of 170 was perfect and the brine of 4 parts brown sugar and 1 part kosher salt works perfectly too.  A bit of maple syrup is nice.  I take mine out at 138 but that's just my smoker and thermometer.  Using two probes seems to make sense as the fish can be thin.  The lower temperature of the two is the one that I go by.  Salmon is great but don't pass on the chance to smoke some steelhead.