Author Topic: Brisket Help  (Read 1695 times)

BrianInOhio

Brisket Help
« on: July 12, 2020, 05:43:13 PM »
I’ve had a 5.85 lb brisket in since 10am and it’s now 5:42pm.  I checked it twice and hit the stall. I then moved my probe after my last check and I’m at 180 and it was hard to insert. Do I remove or ride it out longer? My small flat was burnt.
Brian - Columbus, OH
Smoker Newbie
Bourbon drinker
Smokin' It #1

EFGM

Re: Brisket Help
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 07:20:37 PM »
When it probes like butter, it’s done.
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

barelfly

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 09:56:51 PM »
You could wrap it in foil and put it in your oven with some beef broth at 350* to get it to temp quicker if you are in need of eating. But a smaller brisket, for some reason, is going to take almost just as long as a 12lb brisket. It’s crazy to think, but it happens for some reason.

Hopefully this post isn’t to late, but the oven trick will get it there really quick and you should still have a decent set bark with it.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

BrianInOhio

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 06:39:40 PM »
Pulled it at 9 hrs. When I probed into a spot that was 180 I think I hit a well done spot. The brisket was not juicy and more on the well done side from what I’ve cut and ate. Will try again next month.
Brian - Columbus, OH
Smoker Newbie
Bourbon drinker
Smokin' It #1

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 08:15:00 PM »
180 is really low...  I've had them not even hit the stall until they get to 200.  Brisket /is/ a tough cut of meat until it goes through the full transformation that occurs when you smoke it all the way through the stall.  There's a lot of tissue to break down and that's what the stall is mostly about.  Do you have a meter where you can monitor it without opening the door?  If not, I highly recommend you get one.  Run a probe down through the smoke hole and just let it go.  You don't even need to think about before it hits 195.  After that, check that it has completed the stall.  If it has then, and only then, open the door and see if it's jiggly and easily probed.  Otherwise, every time you open the door you're just letting out heat, smoke, and moisture.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

tostitobandito

• 3DW - Seattle, WA
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 11:06:43 PM »
Yeah, regardless of whether it's a flat or a whole brisket you want 195F minimum internal temp before you even think of pulling it.  A brisket will probe firm/tough all the way to 180F or higher.  It's those last 10-15F where all the magic happens, and that last little bit can take hours in many cases.  Be patient and don't pull it until it's in the 195-205F range someplace and it probes like butter.