Author Topic: What's up with this?  (Read 1054 times)

Smokin Jon

What's up with this?
« on: July 05, 2020, 04:21:46 PM »
I just finished my first cook in a brand new model 3D.  I followed the seasoning instructions in the manual then started an overnight packer brisket cook a few hours later.  After the cook when I went to clean the smoker, I noticed significant charring just above the element and nowhere else.  Is this normal?  ??? See pic.

Additional Information:
Brisket position: Middle of smoker between top and fire box. (Brisket was naked the entire cook)
Foil on top of the fire box and on the bottom of the smoker as instructed.
6 Ounces of Hickory (3 "blocks" included with the smoker) - each ~50-60 grams)
Temp:  225F
Cook time ~12 hours

Thanks in advance!
Smokin Jon

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: What's up with this?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 06:34:01 PM »
I have a tad of discolor on my smoker in the same area but not as severe. Some of it looks like moisture runoff from the brisket juices running off the foil towards the back of the smoker. Check to see if your smoker is level front to back and side to side.

How did the brisket turn out?
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Smokin Jon

Re: What's up with this?
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 08:36:27 PM »
Thanks,  I will check level more closely next cook.
The brisket was pretty good (Rated ~7/10).   A tad dryer than i'm used to with a slightly acrid taste in my opinion.  Although, my wife didn't complain and she has a more refined palate than I do. 
I typically wrap around 170F.  This is the first time I cooked without wrapping.  I've read some people use bread pans with water to increase moisture while others say it isn't necessary.
I will try a milder wood (pecan or oak) next time or simply decrease to 5 oz if i use hickory again.

My previous smokers include:
1.  UDS smoker
2.  18" Weber smokey mountain
3.  Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24 (favorite smoker so far)