Author Topic: tryin spares for the first time on Sunday  (Read 8084 times)

BIG BOB

tryin spares for the first time on Sunday
« on: September 10, 2013, 10:20:58 PM »
any suggestions???
First question (of many I am sure) could I put a couple fatties on the top rack and let drip on spares?
Second question, do I prepare them like babybacks?
Gonna start searchin for ideas.
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
Re: tryin spares for the first time on Sunday
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 11:39:52 PM »
Hey Big Bob,

For my next round of ribs I am going to try Joe's method of applying a bonding agent, dry rub and sauce, then smoke (untouched) for 5 straight hours for back ribs.  I also don't see a problem with putting a fattie on the top rack, the bacon drippings would add an interesting flavour to the ribs.  I may try it myself.  You now have my curiosity going in anticipation of your results.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

BIG BOB

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 09:48:10 AM »
Yeah Smokster, - I kind of thought that the bacon may help the flavor of those spares... like bacon does with everything else!
Do you know if i need to prepare my spares any differently? or like i do my baby backs??
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 12:28:14 PM »
I agree, bacon flavor can make anything taste good.

I prepare baby backs similar to spareribs, however I do believe that spareribs take a bit longer to cook (5.75 - 6 hours for spares vs 5 hours for baby backs).  Preparation is the same regardless of the type of rib and be sure to remove the membrane from the ribs before you apply your binding agent and rub.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

BIG BOB

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 08:29:50 PM »
what I have found is basically the same advice- prep like babybacks .... gonna 3-2-1 the spares  after I cut them in half.  throw a couple fatties on early for a snack drip on ribs before I foil...
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 09:07:00 PM »
Big Bob, I like your approach.  Now if only we can find a way to post pics with 'scratch n sniff' to really appreciate our efforts.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 10:14:51 PM »
I love spares, and hardly ever do babybacks.  The prep I use is to remove the membrane, slather in yellow mustard and my favorite rub, wrap in plastic in the fridge overnight to "get happy."  When they go in the smoker, I sprinkle on a little more rub, throw in about 2-3 oz of hickory/peach or hickory/cherry, set the temp to 225, and not mess with them for about 5/12 hours.  At that point, I'll take a peak for pullback on the bones, and see if they look done.  I always use a water pan full of apple juice on spares, and they come out very moist and tender.  No 2-2-1, 3-2-1, or anything....just let 'em ride!  These smokers really do make some great "Lazy Q!"
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

BIG BOB

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 08:12:52 AM »
Divot, - If I try your approach, can I put a small water pan on bottom of my #2 ? or does it have to take up rack space?

B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 04:11:36 PM »
I would suggest the bottom of the unit off to the side and not touching the firebox.  However, I guess putting it on a rack could work as well.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 05:51:55 PM »
I agree with swthorpe.  When I smoke a pork butt, I put my pan at the bottom of the unit without touching the smoker box.  This has worked well for me.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 07:53:48 PM »
I forgot to mention that about the water pan...I use disposable aluminum "mini loaf pans" from WalMart.  They are the perfect size to sit next to the firebox on the bottom of the smoker.  I rest it right up against the box to keep it hot, and never have a problem.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 09:25:40 PM »
I will tell you guys that the Smokin-It Miss Lilly's Flavor Savor" is killer and cleans up easily.  It hands from the lowest rack and is easy to insert and remove.  Very solid construction so for a $20 investment you'll have a reusable-for-a-lifetime water pan that takes up zero "floor" space.
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

BIG BOB

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 10:26:31 PM »
This smoke, Spares 3-2-1... with a couple fatties on top. or... 3-2-1 the spares and 8 armadillo balls on top. may try a scotch egg or two also.

water pan (loaf pan) for next ribs unless I buy the Miss Lilly flavor savor before the next smoke. Thanks Joe and Tony.

I may try the apple (western brand but very dry- looking) I don't wan it to catch fire-- do I just make a little foil bag with fork holes in the top?

FYI, a buddy of mine is shopping for an electric smoker - guess what is #1 on his list?
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2013, 04:25:31 PM »
How'd the ribs and armadillo balls turn out, Bob?
Tony from NW Arkansas

BIG BOB

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2013, 09:51:13 AM »
Divot- the spares turned out great!!! I cut them St. Louis Style myself and did a pretty good job. Lots of meat on a spare. Fed 7 of us with 2 spares ... took the thinner meat out at the 3hour mark when I foiled - ate some and cut the rest up in our green beans. Delicious. However, I am gonna use a water pan next time and do no foiling.... lot of work and I want to see if there is a difference.  I also made a foil packet for some Western Brand Apple Wood about 2 oz. and it worked great.

As far as the armidillo balls, we didn't have room in the #2 with all of the spare meat in there (should have got a #3) so - gonna have to try them as the  plan for this week.

I did have a problem with the maverick. seems like it works great when i have a smaller amount of food in. My clip often falls off of rack and the probe is either dangling or touching something. if one of those probes get a little food/sauce on it - i think it really schews the readings. my light on Smoker was indicating we were right at 225 but my maverick was staying at 205 or below the last hour.
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.