Author Topic: Loins-questions... again.  (Read 3121 times)

BIG BOB

Loins-questions... again.
« on: September 08, 2013, 06:33:26 PM »
I have 2 4.75 loins rubbed and in fridge for Tuesday. I was gonna smoke them tomorrow, but forgot I have a 6pm meeting. Couple questions to ask you guys... advice is appreciated, please.
1. I injected one with garlic herb butter. 48 hrs in fridge ok for that?
2. I purchased Western brand Apple wood chunks. does anyone have any experience with them?
3. Should I soak the wood chunks? Don't want them to catch fire and ruin my loins.
4. water pan or not?
5. any other pointers?
6.If I don't use apple, is hickory ok with pork? 2-3 oz. with these loins?

maybe someday I will be giving pointers instead of always asking questions.
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
Re: Loins-questions... again.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 06:58:55 PM »
The loins will hold with a garlic butter injection; I'm assuming the injection isn't high in salt, sugar or vinegar which are all things that might cause a bit of an issue.

As far as those Western chunks, they tend to be very dry (sitting on big box store shelves for much longer than is optimal); if you see flaring then you may want to wrap them in perforated tinfoil in the future.

Soaking chunks creates a very murky smoke and can give an "off" flavor for the meat; if you're concerned I'd go with the perforated tinfoil.

With loins, they'll cook pretty quick.  I typically brine mine ... if your loins aren't the "injected with x% solution for flavor and moisture) then you may want to drape some bacon slices over them (especially the non garlic butter injected).

Apple rocks ... cherry, pecan, hickory ... those will work as well.  I'd be apt to mix 50/50 apple and hickory as straight apple will give you a very dark (though tasty) crust on the final product.
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

BIG BOB

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 07:22:20 PM »
Thanks Joe... I think I will go with 2-3oz. of hickory since this smoke is the first time my sons will taste my wares. They were on tour when I did my ribs.
I will definitely drape some bacon over the loins... raw or cooked half way???

4.75lb loins about 3 hours-ish.....? 145 internal temp.  we love the way the loins turn out when cooked in Charbroil's Big Easy... hope these are as juicy.
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

UWFSAE

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 08:15:03 PM »
Raw bacon is fine.  They'll like be pretty juicy in this environment as well but bacon is good for what ails you.  It'll cooks through during the smoke and you're left with a nice little bite or two while you let the loin rest ...
Joe from Houston, TX

BIG BOB

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 08:20:55 PM »
water pan necessary?
145 internal temp....right?

thanks so much!!!!

good luck with your debates.
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

UWFSAE

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 08:37:19 PM »
Bob, 145-150 is your safe zone for bacteria; I typically will hold a loin wrapped in HD plastic wrap and HD tinfoil in the oven on the lowest setting (170 for mine) at the end of the smoke since it rarely lines up with the dinner bell.  Some will even go to 160 before they remove and rest but you're going to coast up a bit with holdover heat during this ... usually 5-10 degrees.  .

155-160 is optimal serving temp so my method of holding/resting easily gets the job done.  If you're serving immediately then let it go to 150-155 before you remove.

A water pan is fine ... some apple juice or beer will be insurance but not mandatory.
Joe from Houston, TX

BIG BOB

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 10:00:57 PM »
thanks again... I may forego the water pan this time just to see how they turn out.
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.