Author Topic: Molasses & Brown Sugar Pork Loin 2.0  (Read 6028 times)

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
Molasses & Brown Sugar Pork Loin 2.0
« on: September 03, 2013, 08:18:07 PM »
So, I had some friends clamoring for some BBQ and I decided to appease them with a nice pork loin since I was working from home today.

Having already posted the first version of the Molasses & Brown Sugar Pork Loin, I felt there were a few variables I'd like to manipulate to see if it would affect the final product.  I used a nearly identical rub to the first attempt, though I increased the chili powder by a tablespoon and added an additional teaspoon of cumin for good measure.  The brine was limited to 18 hours by necessity and I had to substitute turbinado sugar and a healthy splash of molasses in lieu of the brown sugar there.  After brining, the loin was removed, rinsed and patted dry.

With regard to the prep, I again used molasses as the binding agent but I added several shakes of hot sauce before rubbing the pork; my hope is that it would amp up the "zing" of the final dish.

The cooking method was nearly identical ... 235 on the Smokin-It #3 until the IT hit 110, then backed down to 210 until IT reached 145.  I elected to use four ounces of hickory rather than apple (and the final coloring was much lighter than the applewood smoke from last time).  It was then removed and wrapped in HD tinfoil held for a half hour in a small cooler.  A small end sliver, removed solely for "scientific purposes" revealed good flavor and exceptional moisture, though the hot sauce had negligible impact. 

I still may inject the pork loin (for flavor, not moisture) on the next go around.
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

BIG BOB

Re: Molasses & Brown Sugar Pork Loin 2.0
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 08:29:06 PM »
Just a couple questions. I buy big loins too. .  What was the weight and how long did it take for an estimated time.  Thanks and it looks great!
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

UWFSAE

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 10:11:36 PM »
This one ran 3.8 pounds and took about two hours and fifteen minutes to hit 145 (remember, I backed the temp down after it hit 110).
Joe from Houston, TX

BIG BOB

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 07:27:12 AM »
definitely something I can do during the week (after work) --- I get home by 4 everyday! cool looks great! I will try two one injected, one your recipe.   Thanks again.
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 10:05:45 PM »
Looks great, as usual, Joe!  I find the magic temp for sliced loin to be 155 (a little scared of under-cooked pork).  Do you see any pink at 145?  At 155, with a quick sear on the gasser, the loins I do for slicing are very moist and tender, so I'm wondering about the 145 temp.  Anyone else have any feedback on loin temp?  Just curious...
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

puddle jumper

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 09:58:04 AM »
Tony.
 The stuffed pork loin I did the other day I took to 165 and it was still firm and tender...but it did have the bacon and stuffing to boost the moisture..,
PJ
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=916.0
John from North Georgia
Smokin It #2 owner

UWFSAE

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 10:02:12 AM »
Divot, since I usually hold the loin wrapped in plastic and foil in the oven for a while at 170, there's a bit of upward travel; I remove at 145 and serve at 155-160 typically.  Since it's tough to make 'Q magically appear when dinner time hits I find that it's easiest to have it ready a bit before and let it coast.
Joe from Houston, TX

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 08:20:29 PM »
That's what I was wondering, Joe - thanks!  I thought there might be a little "upward mobility" on the temp!  By the way, I've tried holding Q when it's done in the smoker at 140, and it works great!  Held a butt for 4 hours one day with no effect on the finished quality.  Helps with that "magically appearing" thing.  ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 10:33:01 PM »
Hey Tony:

When holding a Q, did you lower the temp to keep the meat at a specific temp without over cooking? If so, what temp did you maintain to do so?
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

UWFSAE

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 10:38:25 PM »
Just a piece of advice to both of you ... 145 is the safe temp for uncured pork.  Anything below that and you're open to bacterial growth (yes, even in a smoker environment ... even worse if the muscle has been pierced by injections or the temp probe).  While I have no qualms with you using the smoker as a warming chamber you should never let the chamber fall below your minimum safe meat temp.
Joe from Houston, TX

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 08:30:52 PM »
Let me clarify the "hold" - once the meat is fully cooked, I'll set the temp to 140 to hold it.  In a few hours, the internal temp probably won't fall below the "safe" minimum, but the cooking process is stopped.  I'm certainly not talking about leaving it in the smoker on hold for a full day or anything - just a few hours until time to eat.  However, my lawyer has advised me to not recommend a temp below 145, so I'm just letting you know what works for me.  lol.  Don't try this at home, kids... ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 11:47:37 PM »
Thanks for the clarification.  Fortunately for me, my stomach is built like a tank and can withstand anything I throw at it.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 08:12:42 PM »
Thanks for the clarification.  Fortunately for me, my stomach is built like a tank and can withstand anything I throw at it.

Hehe... a good quality to have with this hobby! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas