Author Topic: Bit the bullet - Ordered the #3  (Read 16736 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Bit the bullet - Ordered the #3
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 08:13:02 PM »
Thanks guys.  Went back after I posted and did some reading on the sauces and rubs.  UWFSAE, got the Maverick today. DivotMaker, thanks for the link.  Explained it well.  Went to get two pork shoulders, but they were out.  So got 2 boston butts instead.  Got the thermometer, meat foil, electricity, rub and appetite.  So now I just need for the smoker to come tomorrow.

Etex, there are actually two cuts that come from the front shoulder of a pig; the picnic shoulder, and the Boston butt pork shoulder.  The Boston butt has absolutely nothing to do with the "butt" as we know it - it's actually the opposite end of Porky!  The Boston butt is the top cut of the shoulder, whereas the picnic cut is the lower part of the leg. 

The Boston butt got it's name in Colonial times when butchers would pack the "less desirable" cuts from the pig in barrels referred to as "butts."  They would then sell them cheap to travelers or ships.  "Less desirable" meaning anything other than the ham from the back legs, or loin from "high on the hog" (another obscure saying from days of old).  Funny thing is, the name stuck everywhere except Boston!

In bbq, I find the Boston butt to be more desirable meat than the picnic, simply for taste.  But, there you have it - how the "Boston butt" became the Boston butt!

So, luck was on your side and you picked the right cut by chance!  And, you'll love the Maverick!  ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Etex

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2013, 09:55:09 PM »
Got the #3 this afternoon.  Got it set up and it is seasoning now.  Wife does not like having to smell the hickory and no meat in it.  Will cook the butts tomorrow.  Probably put them on by noon so they will be ready for dinner.

shomesmoke

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2013, 10:51:21 PM »
Etex, You will like the #3 I love mine! Cooking 2 BB allow plenty of time it will prolly take 8-12 hours or maybe more.
Mark from Missouri
Smokin It #3

Etex

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2013, 11:04:03 PM »
I was basing the time on the recipe on the recipe section for a Boston Butt.  It said six hours or 170 degrees.  I guess that two will take a little longer.  I bought a Maverick, but just notice that it is only one probe.  Think I will return it and get the 2 probe that some recommend on here.  I will put it on earlier and let it cook about 7 - 8 hours and check the temp and wrap it in foil and put it in the oven if it is not done.  Gonna get this down eventually. 

Jerz

• Atlanta, GA
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2013, 06:05:06 AM »
When I first got my other smoker I would invite friends over for an all day smoke and eventually realized I'm better off doing an all night smoke the night before they come over just to make sure it's done...  you can always keep it wrapped in foil and put it in a cooler for quite some time (2hours is what I  usually do)...  which is the main reason for me getting an electric smoker.   They always seem to take longer than expexted and are well worth the wait...  Don't sell yourself short on time and don't forget to let the pork rest after; two hours the meat will still be piping hot after that time.

I'll be getting one of those Maverick ET732'S just so I can sleep in bed while the smokin-it is doing all the work.

Why reinvent the wheel?  Get yer smoke on....
Smokin' with the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker for about a year.... Model 3 for a minute... Monitoring with the iGrill with the Android App... :D

drains

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2013, 04:33:48 PM »
how many packer trimmed briskets will fit in the #3 approximately? i realize some are bigger than  others but on average say 12 to 15 pounds each.  wouldn't want to crowd it too much so smoke and heat would circulate well. thanks i'm trying to decide between the #2 and #3.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2013, 06:26:43 PM »
The BB that I have done this year have required more time than originally thought ... the 1.5 hrs/lb general rule that I have read did not work; more like 2 hours.   My advice is plan extra time...overnight is good, and the but can rest longer if you find extra time at the end of the cook.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 09:53:29 AM by swthorpe »
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2013, 08:42:20 PM »
Congrats on the seasoning, Etex!  Yeah, hard smelling that hickory with no meat in there! ???   Two recommendations:  The Maverick 732 is the bomb, and definitely the way to go.  As for internal temp on your Boston butts - 170-175 for slicing, but for pulled pork, you'll need to cook up to 200-degrees.  You'll just be breaking out of the "stall" at 170, and if you try to pull it, it just won't work.  I've pulled pork at 195, with a rest in foil, but have found 200 to be the "magic" temp for me.  Some even say 203 (but I really can't see that 3-degrees makes any difference).

Because these smokers are pretty sealed, and very efficient, you can prep your butts, put them in, set the temp to 225, and not worry about them until internal hits 200.  Simple as that!  Let us know how they turn out!!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Etex

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2013, 09:52:48 PM »
First someone might answer Drains about how many packer trim briskets will fit in the #3 as I haven't gotten that far.  I would think 2.  I do know that when I called before I bought my #3, I was told that the #3 would let the full brisket lie flat and the #2 wouldn't. 

Here are my BB's I cooked as my first attempt.  Wanted to go very basic.  Did not do any injection except that I did inject some apple juice to see how it would do.  Used a little over 2 oz of hickory and set at 225 and cooked for 8 hrs and 15 minutes.  It looked good.  Wrapped it and put in cooler for 2 hours.  Do not have the dual maverick so could not do internal and forgot to take it at that time.  When I took it out of the cooler it was still hot but was not 175 internally, so put it in oven until it reached internal temp.  Had good bark and flavor, but needed to cook longer to pull.  So you were right on that Divotmaker .Cut one up and put in chopper.  Will slice the other one.  Used a premade Kroger pork rub I had.  It was o.k., but want to do some of the things you guys are doing and experiment with some sauces instead of the bottled stuff. 

BIG BOB

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2013, 10:35:04 PM »
I am finding that the experimenting is the fun part...well.... and the eating of course!
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

DivotMaker

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2013, 11:10:43 PM »
Good first smoke, Etex!  Now that you've flexed your #3's muscles, you'll have more confidence on the next cooks.  This is all about experimentation and learning!  You'll find we're a lot harder on ourselves than any of the folks who eat our creations.  Homemade rubs are plentiful on the site, and not hard to mix; find one that suits your pallet and modify if necessary.  The other thing is to trust that your Smokin-It will take your creation to completion - no need to finish in the oven.  One of the best things about these smokers is that it really is an "adventure in NOT babysitting!" 

Bet the butts tasted great.  I would, however, recommend 5-6 oz of wood for butts or briskets.  2 oz is really not usually enough for large cuts.  Remember - your meat will absorb smoke flavor until it reaches about 140 IT.  After that, you're wasting smoke, and it just collects on the outside of the meat (giving that "oversmoked" taste).  See what the inside of your smoker looks like?...that's what collects on meat after it stops absorbing it.  Always start with a cold smoker and cold meat in electric smokers.  The theory is that the meat warms to "room temp" as the smoker gets hot enough to produce smoke....I've found this to be true, and always start with cold meat in a cold smoker.  Just a couple of 2-cents-worth! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2013, 06:06:53 PM »
Hi Etex: Congrats on the #3, you will not be disappointed.  I picked mine up about 6 weeks ago and haven't stopped using it since, it can become an addiction.  Half the fun is the planning and anticipation of your next smoke. At the very least, if there is an intervention, it is because they want more of the good ole Q.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

DivotMaker

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2013, 08:26:06 PM »
Hi Etex: Congrats on the #3, you will not be disappointed.  I picked mine up about 6 weeks ago and haven't stopped using it since, it can become an addiction.  Half the fun is the planning and anticipation of your next smoke. At the very least, if there is an intervention, it is because they want more of the good ole Q.

Hehehe... interventions for Q.... that's funny right there, I don't care who you are!  lol! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas

Etex

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2013, 09:31:52 PM »
Smoked my first rack of beef ribs in the 3 yesterday.  Put on at 7 and took out at 1:15.  Rubbed with mustard the night before and a premixed rub and refrigerated.  Set smoker at 225.  Used 4 oz of hickory.  All in all came out well.  Think I will use a heavier smoke next time though.  Maybe about 6 oz.  They were not fall off the bone, but were very tender and pulled away from the bone during eating.  We finished them up tonight and they were just as good, if not better.  Seems the smoke penetrates the second day.  That is the impression I got from the ribs and butts I smoked.  Right now I am tight around the midsection and smiling, but tomorrow will be pained when I have to look at the pictures.  Thought I would drool in the laptop looking at Joe's brisket with the molasses.  I know he meant well, but it almost bordered on cruelty.

DivotMaker

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2013, 09:37:40 PM »
Sounds like another success story, Etex!  Glad the beef ribs turned out well.  4 oz of hickory should have been more than enough for ribs.  As you've learned, the smoke does penetrate more overnight - same concept with cold smoking cheese; always tastes more smoky after resting in the fridge for a few days.  If you like a stronger smoke flavor, I might suggest mesquite for beef.  I personally like mesquite, but a lot of people find it too strong for their taste.  All in all, though, sounds like you put a good plan together! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas