Author Topic: Pulling Pork Tomorrow (today)!  (Read 6092 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Pulling Pork Tomorrow (today)!
« on: August 23, 2013, 10:39:48 PM »
Sunday is my son's 14th birthday, so I let him choose what I was smoking tomorrow..."Definitely pulled pork, Dad!"  So a nice 8 3/4 pound Boston butt it is!

Did the prep work tonight - inject with Joe's pork marinade, yellow mustard coat and rubbed with my modified spicy pork rub, and into the fridge for a nice nap.  I'll put it in the #1 about 0-dark thirty (5:30 am), and wait for the delicious results!  I decided to go straight hickory this time.  I usually use a blend of hickory and peach, or hickory and cherry, but am in the mood for a real "traditional" butt this time!

I'll set it in at 225, and try out the new Maverick thermometer!  I'll also be pulling it with my new set of Wolf Claws off of Amazon.  They're just like the Bear Paws, but $2 cheaper, and available on Prime (free 2-day shipping).  I'll let you know how they work!

Here's the injection:

1 cup apple juice
1/2 cup demerara sugar
1/4 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 tbsp Crystal hot sauce (Joe calls for Sriracha, but I substitute Crystal)
2 tbsp worcestershire sauce

And the rub:
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup Kosher salt
1/3 cup paprika
2 Tbls granulated garlic
2 Tbls onion powder
1 1/2 Tsp cayenne
1 Tsp McCormick's Smokehouse pepper
1 Tsp coarse black pepper
1 Tsp cumin
1 Tsp corianderI'll get some pics up tomorrow.  I have rave reviews using this recipe, and it really does turn out well.  I'll keep you posted! :)

« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 07:36:41 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
Re: Pulling Pork Tomorrow!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 11:51:52 PM »
I've got a set of Bear Claws and they work quite well.  Be sure to let it rest as you'd always do, however ... the temp still is a bit steamy for your hands if you don't despite the Wolverine-claws.

If you're doing pulled, I'd recommend a small disposable aluminum pan immediate beneath the butt; there's some serious flavor in that dripage (just skim the fat after a quick trip to the fridge and then reheat and add it to your pulled meat) and something pie pan sized won't affect smoke flow.
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

DivotMaker

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 11:59:28 PM »
Drippings...ooh...ahh.  Good idea on the pie pan - think I'll try that tomorrow!  A butt does a really good job at coating the bottom of the smoker with drippings; makes sense to catch them!  Thanks Joe!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

puddle jumper

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 04:08:32 AM »
That sounds great,,,

One question about the rub and injection,,
Why are you using the demerara sugar in the injection and not in the rub??
Seems like it would be really good in the rub as well??
Just curious...
PJ
John from North Georgia
Smokin It #2 owner

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 11:22:32 AM »
That sounds great,,,

One question about the rub and injection,,
Why are you using the demerara sugar in the injection and not in the rub??
Seems like it would be really good in the rub as well??
Just curious...
PJ

Probably would be... I don't really have an answer to that!  I've used this injection before, and it's great.  Adds a little sweet kick deep in the meat.  I'll try your suggestion next time.  Guess I could use apple juice, cider vinegar, Worcester and rub.  Hmmm... you may be onto something! ;)

Put the butt in this a.m. about 6 am, and the Maverick 732 is showing an internal temp of 183 already!  Seems a little high for 4:15 hours in, so I plugged in my single-probe Accurite thermo to check.  As you can see, they're both the same, so I'm confident the new Maverick is right.  Smoker temp has been darn near constant between 223 and 226 the whole time.  I backed the temp down to 200 to slow it down a bit. 

I've never had a 8 3/4 pound butt cook this fast!  It's like it didn't stall at all.  Anyone have any ideas on this?  Strange...
Tony from NW Arkansas

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 12:11:04 PM »
OK, no need to panic.  She finally stalled at 185, has dropped to 183, and has been there for the last hour.  Whew!  Kind of freaked me out; I've never had one stall that high!  Usually, I see the stall between 170-180.  I guess I'll relax and crack open a cold one! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas

UWFSAE

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 12:53:18 PM »
Just remember that demerara and turbinado are slightly processed sugars; the reason I put them in my rubs and marinades/sauces/injections is that it has a much better flavor than refined (white) sugar and have a slightly lower caloric count.  They are definitely larger granules so, just like kosher salt vs. table salt, you'll have to revise measurements that call for traditional white or brown sugar.

When using demerara in an injection it requires some heating to break it down; that being said, it's imperative to cool an injection prior to use.

One caution on injecting marinades that contain rub is that any herby stuff won't dissolve when heated so they'll be more apt to clog some injector needles.  I typically run my rub through a mortar and pestle before I add it to an injection liquid.

Glad it hit the stall ... just some peace of mind.  With regard to your butt cooking so fast, it could have been less intramuscular fat than typical or if you keep it closer to the smoker box rather than the top vent.  Was there any unique placement for this smoke?
Joe from Houston, TX

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 01:04:41 PM »
Good info, as usual, Joe.  No different placement - I always put large cuts on the highest rack possible without touching the top.  I did buy this butt at a WalMart Neighborhood Market (Tyson brand) this time due to inability to get to Sam's (where I usually get them).  It was definitely a different quality than I normally get.  The meat was much darker, and very soft.  It was harder to trim than I usually encounter due to the softness of the meat.  That's the only thing different on this cook.  I couldn't believe how fast the temp was climbing! 

The Maverick 732 is great!  I've never really been concerned with the internal smoker temp, as I've never had an issue with anything not cooking according to schedule.  This has confirmed that my #1 holds temp very well.  I've only seen a +/- 5-degree swing in temp from the set point.  Pretty impressive, given all the posts about wild temp swings. 
Tony from NW Arkansas

UWFSAE

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 03:48:36 PM »
With soft meat and fat a quick trip to chill (not freeze) in the freezer will make butchering much, much easier.

So long as the fat is rendering you should be seeing a decent product.  If the Maverick is giving you consistent temps I'd just ride it out and determine if the final product is what you wanted ... if so it's a case of no harm, no foul.
Joe from Houston, TX

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 04:40:09 PM »
194 at 3:40.  This one had a really long stall at 185 - about 3 hours!  Slowly climbing - should be a good one when it's done.  The Maverick is performing well - I definitely like it!
Tony from NW Arkansas

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2013, 07:36:17 PM »
Seemed to hit a secondary stall @ 198.  Hmmm...  I decided to pull it and wrap (I've had success when wrapping at 197-198 before - remember, this is NOT an "exact science!").  Only wrapped for 15 mins while we got things ready.  Pulled the pork (sorry - no pics this time, but it looked just like every other pan of pulled pork I've posted). 

O...M...G...!  Absolutely incredible!  Probably one of the most tender butts I've ever cooked!  Moist, tender, and a big hit! 
Tony from NW Arkansas

puddle jumper

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2013, 07:47:11 PM »
Just remember that demerara and turbinado are slightly processed sugars; the reason I put them in my rubs and marinades/sauces/injections is that it has a much better flavor than refined (white) sugar and have a slightly lower caloric count.  They are definitely larger granules so, just like kosher salt vs. table salt, you'll have to revise measurements that call for traditional white or brown sugar.

When using demerara in an injection it requires some heating to break it down; that being said, it's imperative to cool an injection prior to use.

One caution on injecting marinades that contain rub is that any herby stuff won't dissolve when heated so they'll be more apt to clog some injector needles.  I typically run my rub through a mortar and pestle before I add it to an injection liquid.

Joe,
 I to be honest I had to go look it up to see exctly what it was I'm not overly savy on spices I tend to stick with basics and it sounds really good so that's why I was thinking it would be good in the rub as well. It got me wondering why it was not in the rub to start with , that maybe there was a reason I was not seeing...like I said on my loin cook I'm always looking to learn new things, so that's why I asked.. ;D

Tony  It sounds like it did great
Congrats...
PJ

« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 07:49:07 PM by puddle jumper »
John from North Georgia
Smokin It #2 owner

es1025

Re: Pulling Pork Tomorrow (today)!
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2013, 08:25:31 AM »
Tony
Another great job! Looks like you have a great recipe.  The satisfaction of success is a great thing. I will be firing up a pork butt next sunday. Today, baby backs.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2013, 05:45:12 PM »
Tony
Another great job! Looks like you have a great recipe.  The satisfaction of success is a great thing. I will be firing up a pork butt next sunday. Today, baby backs.

Thanks, Ed!  Hope the baby backs turned out good (as they usually do).  ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas

es1025

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2013, 06:01:20 PM »
Tony
I was able to post a picture.  the Mrs. who rarely eats ribs has two pieces.   ;D

the revised rubs made a difference.  No heartburn!!
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?