Author Topic: 1st Smokes - 8 Racks of Side Ribs & Pork Butt - Model #3  (Read 10464 times)

Spresso

Re: 1st Smoke - 8 Racks of Side Ribs - Model #3
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2013, 09:39:38 PM »
Very nice end product!

one thing I gotta say is that my smokes have been a lot more inconsistent with the smoking-it unit than my weber grill.  But a lot easier to smoke things in the #3, especially when it's windy. and it's windy a lot where I live. 
Speaking of inconsistencies . I had a 3.5 lbs. pork butt that wasn't done in 15 hours.  and a 10 lbs brisket that got done in 9!
My ribs have also been a hit and miss.  the 3-2-1 method doesn't work for me in this smoker...
I'm thinking of PID-ing the unit... to see if that makes a difference.   A bit pricey for a test though  ::)

Granted I haven't had a lot of time to experiment, been busy with a few projects... but I expected more of a "set-it-and-forget-it" experience.....
My backyard is 95% done. so I hope I can spend more quality time with the #3  ;)
Zed from Southern Ontario
Smokin-It-all on the #3
Grillin-the-rest on the Weber

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2013, 10:12:32 PM »
I'm thinking of PID-ing the unit... to see if that makes a difference.   A bit pricey for a test though  ::)

OK, Zed, I'll bite.... excuse my ignorance, but what the heck is "PID-ing?"  Sounds complicated. :o
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Spresso

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2013, 07:35:50 AM »
oh,
PID: proportional-integral-derivative
it's basically a digital temp controller.   has been used with retrofitted espresso machines for a long time,  now it looks like it's getting popular with electric smokers too. 
depending on the module you can control the temps in the smoker within 2-3 degrees. more realistically 2-5.
it cycles the heater much more often.
they are costly depending on precision.

here is one example for 200 bucks:
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_28&products_id=203
Zed from Southern Ontario
Smokin-It-all on the #3
Grillin-the-rest on the Weber

shomesmoke

Re: 1st Smokes - 8 Racks of Side Ribs & Pork Butt - Model #3
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2013, 02:08:47 PM »
Spresso, I was having some of those same issues with my #3 also. At first it seemed like it would take forever to get meat to a serving temp. I purchased a maverick dual probe thermo. and what I found was when the dial on the smoker was set to 225 the internal temp would NEVER get over 200 even on a 12 hour smoke. To get an average temp in the 225 range I have to set the dial almost to 250. Once I found this out I can put out some good Q now. I do wish these smokers would run up to the 275 degree area. If you try the controller let us know what ya think!!
Mark
Mark from Missouri
Smokin It #3