Author Topic: It's Ribday  (Read 4595 times)

Muttley

It's Ribday
« on: August 11, 2013, 05:50:27 PM »
In between Saturday and Monday is Ribday.

Thanks to UWFSAE, I used mostly his tips and techniques and modified his sweet/hot rub, however, I did go
3-2, mostly because I had to run errands. 

The cayenne was right on for me, I like hot.  This was a mild heat, nothing outrageous, but you'll know it's there and it doesn't take away from anything else, which is important to me. I had two ribs as a sampler before I dug into dinner (see below for more on that).  This rub was pretty good for a first attempt, not sure what I would change.  I made these for my co workers tomorrow, so I'll be interested to see what they have to say.

I'd like to say the ribs were good (I am 1000% they were), but my mouth was burning from the jalepenos when I dug into the ribs.  Didn't think of that ahead of time.  I am going to revisit the ribs in an hour or so for a confirmation. 

1/4 Cup   dark brown sugar
1/4 Cup    Spanish paprika
2 tbsp   kosher (I used seasoned) salt
1 tbsp    coarse ground black pepper
1 tbsp    ground white pepper
2 tsp        cayenne pepper (less if heat isn't your thing)
1 tsp   ground thyme
Dash of Chipotle
Take some yellow mustard and schmear the ribs, then rub the rub.

3hrs @225 with peach wood your ready to spritz (I used peach lemonade) foil for another 2 hours.

While that's getting ready, make some stuffed peppers.

Cream cheese
Sharp Cheddar
Parmesan
Panko crumbs
Thyme
Black pepper
Onion powder
3 cooked and chopped slices of bacon

I don't know the measurements, maybe a teaspoon of the spices, 1/4 cup of everything else stuff the peppers.  225 for an hour, longer if you want a less crisp pepper.

After 2 hours in the foil, unwrap and dab the tears away.

Pour a good lager or Pilsner, and let the good times roll...

« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 05:53:07 PM by Muttley »

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
Re: It's Ribday
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 06:23:54 PM »
Nice rack ... those peppers are looking really good as well!  A neat trick, especially since you eased up on both the sugar and cayenne, is to use a 50/50 mix between the yellow mustard and honey as your schmear ... it'll help build that bark and it adds a bit of flavor more than sweetness.

I'm going to have to order some more peach wood now ...  :D
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

Muttley

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 06:37:35 PM »
I wouldn't have an issue with adding honey now.  Using the peach lemonade I wasn't sure what affect it would have and in the back of my mind I was worried about having candied ribs.   

And despite my best judgement, I just finished the last two peppers, so now I'm sweating once more. 

UWFSAE

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 07:08:12 PM »
The neat thing about honey (or molasses) for a binder is that the smoking process seems to all but remove the sweetness element and just leave behind a faint flavor.  I'm a HUGE advocate of molasses lately and it actually seems to help produce a more moist product than just mustard.

Be careful with those peppers, Mutt ... you may be in for a long night.   ;D
Joe from Houston, TX

Muttley

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 10:43:54 PM »
My minions were happy at work today, so I must have done something right...although the rub had really lost all the heat it had yesterday.  I thought that was weird.  That first rib I had yesterday had a little zing to it.  Today, nothing at all.  Hmm....

UWFSAE

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 11:41:43 PM »
If you're feeding your minions ribs then they are spoiled indeed ...

As for the flavor decrease, that's a new one ... what storage method (Ziploc, tin foil, plastic wrap, vacuum seal, etc.) did you use overnight?  I have no idea whether that contributed but I would assume that a little moisture loss and reheating might cause some issues ...
Joe from Houston, TX

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 08:54:53 PM »
Great looking meal there, Muttley!  You must have a winner if the minions liked it!  lol.  Cool trick with the peppers, too!

I did a rack of spares this weekend with peach; love it!  Great flavor for ribs.  Really different than other woods, and adds a nice, mild smoke flavor.  I usually combine a little hickory, but went straight peach this time.  Results were good.

I had some Italian sausage on hand, so I threw it in with the ribs.  It was good with peach, too!  I did the spares straight 5 1/2 hours unwrapped.  No spritzing or opening the door.  Just let 'em ride.  I should have give them a good sear on the grill when they were done, but the fam was too hungry! :o   Very juicy, and fall-off-the-bone tender (but not mushy).  I'll never foil ribs again.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Muttley

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 10:03:33 PM »
If you're feeding your minions ribs then they are spoiled indeed ...

As for the flavor decrease, that's a new one ... what storage method (Ziploc, tin foil, plastic wrap, vacuum seal, etc.) did you use overnight?  I have no idea whether that contributed but I would assume that a little moisture loss and reheating might cause some issues ...

I stored them in a tupperware.  Could have been the moisture.  I never noticed it until this run, so I'll see what happens next time. 

Muttley

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 10:06:49 PM »
Great looking meal there, Muttley!  You must have a winner if the minions liked it!  lol.  Cool trick with the peppers, too!

I did a rack of spares this weekend with peach; love it!  Great flavor for ribs.  Really different than other woods, and adds a nice, mild smoke flavor.  I usually combine a little hickory, but went straight peach this time.  Results were good.

I had some Italian sausage on hand, so I threw it in with the ribs.  It was good with peach, too!  I did the spares straight 5 1/2 hours unwrapped.  No spritzing or opening the door.  Just let 'em ride.  I should have give them a good sear on the grill when they were done, but the fam was too hungry! :o   Very juicy, and fall-off-the-bone tender (but not mushy).  I'll never foil ribs again.

Oh man, I was going to start some sausage when I got home today but that didn't happen.  Now I'm hungry after looking at those pics...

I'm going to try 5 hours straight through next time.  I really need to see if my butcher carries spares.  I've only seen baby backs and country ribs.  I have a great butcher, you'd think they'd have them. 

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 10:18:15 PM »
I get my spares at my local Sam's Club.  They come in cryo-vac packs of 3 racks, and are always excellent (big and meaty).  I hear Costco has good meat departments, too.  Don't know if you have a Sam's where you are, but I buy all my meat there.  I find selections I can't get anywhere else (except the butcher for twice the price), and the quality is excellent.  Just my 2-cents worth...
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!