Author Topic: Not getting started... maybe getting lazy  (Read 12295 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Not getting started... maybe getting lazy
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2013, 10:12:12 PM »
 ;D Figured as much, Joe!  LOL!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

JudgeSteve

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2013, 10:18:47 PM »

I bet it's because it's just too consistent and easy.  The comps that I've been to, and helped cook on a team at, seem to be more impressed with the show than the results.  Don't get me wrong, the judges are more concerned about results - but they don't make the rules.  I believe the rule-makers like to see folks getting sweaty, having to constantly tend to their smokers.  This gives the impression that their type of smoking takes a lot more skill.  To see a team prepare their meat, throw it in a Smokin-It, and then disappear to their trailers or somewhere else until it's done just wouldn't be a good show! ...even though the results might just blow the competition away!

But, hey, I may be talking out my rump roast too. ;D[/quote]

Joe - I think you are on the right path:  They want to maintain the 'history and integrity' of bbq/smoking.  I don't have an issue with it for competition... just want easy but good-tasting at home.

DivotMaker

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2013, 10:39:01 PM »
I bet it's because it's just too consistent and easy.  The comps that I've been to, and helped cook on a team at, seem to be more impressed with the show than the results.  Don't get me wrong, the judges are more concerned about results - but they don't make the rules.  I believe the rule-makers like to see folks getting sweaty, having to constantly tend to their smokers.  This gives the impression that their type of smoking takes a lot more skill.  To see a team prepare their meat, throw it in a Smokin-It, and then disappear to their trailers or somewhere else until it's done just wouldn't be a good show! ...even though the results might just blow the competition away!

But, hey, I may be talking out my rump roast too. ;D

Joe - I think you are on the right path:  They want to maintain the 'history and integrity' of bbq/smoking.  I don't have an issue with it for competition... just want easy but good-tasting at home.

Steve, I also don't have a problem with that either.  The comps are a great place for folks to show-off their fancy grills and techniques with "flair!"  That being said, I also know that a lot of the winners are not cooking good, everyday Q; they're going for bold, sassy, stand-out tastes that are going to make that "one-bite" impression!  Easy, good-tasting at home is the winner every time!  Most people have never eaten competition Q, or are going to compete.  That's where Smokin-It wins hands-down!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 10:41:12 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Spence

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2013, 11:35:01 PM »
You're right Joe.  KCBS is very traditional when it comes to contest rules.  No "easy way out" in their eyes.  I can see that for contests but we are just about good times, friends and easy eating here.  Oh, and don't forget creativity.
Alabama Chain Smoker

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2013, 12:29:50 AM »
Spence, I think we're definitely on the same page on this.  I really miss my stick burner ... there were some textural differences (especially in the bark) and the aesthetic of the smoke ring is something I occasionally miss.

That being said, I get WAY more use of the Smokin-It than I did a traditional smoker.  The time it took to fire it up, the heat (on top of Texas temperatures) often served as a disincentive, and the delicacy of the process (needing significant oversight throughout the smoking session) are all things of the past; I probably have doubled, if not tripled, the amount of smoking I do since I bought this.  Oddly enough, I've barely touched my grill since I bought the #3 ...  ;D
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

bigboy74

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2013, 01:44:22 AM »
Joe my grill has been a little neglected as well. Guess I am going to have to grill some ribeyes soon. I love my steaks seared no smoke flavor...

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2013, 06:28:00 PM »
Heh, I just bought some two four pound chuck roasts that I'm going to smoke low and slow and then slice and finish on a crazy hot grill ... the old girl is feeling neglected.   I'm usually with you on the "no smoke on steaks" thing but I saw a home demo of a Kalamazoo multi fuel grill that can use LP gas, charcoal and/or wood for steaks.  They used gas to start the wood (oak) and then cooked the steaks over the wood fire at a high temp.  Since it was a fast and hot cook, the slight hint of smoke didn't overpower all that wonderful seared meat.

Now if I can just save up $13k for a Kalamazoo grill ...  ;D
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

DivotMaker

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2013, 09:09:07 PM »
Yep, I feel you, boys.  My trusty Weber gasser is feeling pretty lonely these days.  Oh, I throw her the occasional burger, dog, or steak, but she's definitely feeling neglected. :'(   I feel bad about it, too - we've been together 16 years!  You guys understand how it is... in the early years, we experimented together, and nothing was "too crazy" to try!  We bought books and poured over the different techniques, and then gladly tried them together...she was so willing to please back then.

Now, though, she's not as willing to please.  Last time I fired her up, she let her grease pan catch on fire!  Wow, I thought, that has to be a cry for help.  I gently extinguished her fire, and spent some quality time with a few pounds of sirloins together.  I'm pretty sure she's ok now.

I told her we're going to try some ribeyes, and even some grilled veggies, this weekend; I'm pretty sure she's looking forward to our "special" time together.  Sure hope the planning lives up to expectations!   ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas