Author Topic: Not getting started... maybe getting lazy  (Read 12296 times)

JudgeSteve

Not getting started... maybe getting lazy
« on: July 28, 2013, 10:51:22 PM »
Hi Guys,

I stumbled across the "Smokin-It" when searching for articles on electric smokers.  These look very interesting, and I am somewhat like Ron (below) in that I am looking for a new smoker.

The difference is I do a great deal of smoking both on a Weber Genesis gasser and a Weber bullet (18.5") with a BBQGuru mounted to it.  In fact, the latter has 2 7.3 lb butts on right now, with probably 12 hours to go.

I truly love the bullet+Guru, but I am tired of doing so much prep.... Cleaning grates, cleaning ashes, lighting charcoal (actually that's not too bad... I use a char-broil gasser side burner for that (the grilling area I ahve burned up and cannot get replacement parts for)), smelling like the first lit coals etc.

So I'm wondering who might have done lots of research before getting a smokin-it?  Did you compare propane verticals?  What about other electrics like Smokin Tex?  (I'm assuming the Smokin-its are WAY better than Masterbilt and some similar, but maybe not quite at the level of Cookshacks??)

If I were to get a Smokin-Tex, which is going to give me capacities along the lines of:
a) a full brisket packer (will not fit on my size Bullet, although will fit on the newer, larger model)
or
b) 8 racks of ribs plus some sausages (I like to put the sausages on the upper rack and let them drip down onto the lower rack having ribs or brisket flats on it)
or
c) a turkey plus a ham
or
d) up to four 7 lb butts or 4 good size chickens?

Today is our anniversary and my better (ok, way better) half offered me a couple hundred bucks towards a new smoker (and she didn't even say I would have to get rid of the old, so I have a backup!!)

THANKS!

Steve

Spence

Re: Not getting started... maybe getting lazy
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 11:40:18 PM »
Hi Steve,
Not sure what the "Judge Steve" might refer to, but let me mention that I am a certified KCBS certified BBQ judge . . . but more importantly, I am also a relative new comer to this forum and to using a Smokin-it number 3.  For what it's worth I will only say I have so far been very much amazed at the quality of the product AND of the my results thus far.  There are some great people on this forum who will not steer you wrong.  I will only say you cant go wrong with a Smokin-it. 

I yield the rest of my time to those more experienced on here.
Alabama Chain Smoker

smokeasaurus

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 08:37:14 AM »
Grab the #3.   The Smokin-It is absolutely Cookshack quality. I don't know how Cookshack has turned into the "Kleenex" of the electric smoker world but so be it.

You can fit full packers and full spares in the #3 with no trimming. Large turkeys and hams..no probs......all at 1/2 the price of the competition......just my 2 cents......

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 03:12:49 PM »
"If I were to get a Smokin-Tex, which is going to give me capacities along the lines of: "

You are on the wrong site.  Just kidding!

As for your questions, smokeasaurus summed it up nicely. Should you feel the need for even more space, the model 4 should fill the bill with room to spare.  If you compare machines feature for feature, based upon dimensions or stated capacity, you will find a huge difference in price. I can only compare build quality of a Smokin-it model 3 to a Cookshack (no experience with ST). Aside from the digital aspect of the CS, and the price, they are both very solid, well insulated, and do their intended job reliably.

It may seem minor, but the Si units have larger wheels (great for when the patio needs floor work or the surface is uneven) a longer standard cord (no extension needed most of the time), accessories are less expensive, more money left over for pork and beer.

So do some research, ask some users, and we will see you later.

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 03:15:03 PM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 03:51:57 PM »
Judge, I don't want to beat the proverbial dead horse but Spense, Smoke and Sarge are all spot on.  Like you, I did a comparison of Smokin-It, SmokinTex and Cookshack.  While I love the Amerique from Cookshack, I didn't want to budget that much for a smoker for a single guy who generally cooks for himself and his girlfriend, and occasionally for friends, and family and my German Shepherd.  The #3 from Smokin-It came out the winner both for ease-of-use and price point and had the capacity to even allow me to help cater alumni golf tournaments and Habitat for Humanity projects.

I can vouch for the #3 and it will meet or exceed each of your four prescribed criteria; I think you'll find it to win out in a cost/benefit comparison with the SmokinTex 1400 (more shelves, bigger element, etc.) ... at least it did for me.
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 07:26:49 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to ask the questions here, Steve!  As you can see, we are definitely a little "biased" toward our smokers! ;)   In all seriousness, though, I was pretty much in the same boat as you, and I ended up taking a leap of faith on the Smokin-It...sure glad I did!

As for all the other advice here?  Ditto.   ;D   Smoke has used about every smoker known to man, Sarge is a CS owner, and Joe, well, is an "International Man of Mystery!"  Need I say more??
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

JudgeSteve

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 03:35:57 PM »
Thanks all - I really appreciate the replies.  And even when you are biased towards a unit, you can still know its quirks.... best example is Weber gassers... I was so happy when they went to front-to-back burners rather than the left-to-right they had for years, because front to back lends itself to creating better cool zones and probably consumes less gas.

PS - Thanks for putting up with my typo... I do really mean Smokin-it!

PPS - Spence - the 'judge' is KCBS and PNWBA (Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, and British Columbia)... since you see so many different cooker's work I like what you are saying!!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 03:39:18 PM by JudgeSteve »

Spence

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 07:26:35 PM »
Thanks Steve, as you know electric smokers are a no no for competition but they are great for the home.  I have been very satisfied with my decision to go with the Smokin-it brand.  I truly think it's only a matter of time before they are very well known. 

Price, quality, service.  So many times one only gets 2 out of the 3.  This is one of those times all three come together.

PS.....get a number 3 if it meets your budget!
Alabama Chain Smoker

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 08:09:22 PM »
Pretty impressive to have members with such distinguished credentials!  Cool to see that those who really know different kinds of Q come to Smokin-It!  That just helps validate those of us who just know great Q when we see it (smell it, taste it) - with or without bona fides! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

bigboy74

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 01:30:16 AM »
Why are electric smokers a no no for competition??

smokeasaurus

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 08:31:29 AM »
I am probably talking out of my rump, but they offer a uneven playing field for the stick burner crowd. They do allow pellet grills now so I wonder why they don't let ya compete with em....... ???

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2013, 08:38:43 PM »
I am probably talking out of my rump, but they offer a uneven playing field for the stick burner crowd. They do allow pellet grills now so I wonder why they don't let ya compete with em....... ???

I bet it's because it's just too consistent and easy.  The comps that I've been to, and helped cook on a team at, seem to be more impressed with the show than the results.  Don't get me wrong, the judges are more concerned about results - but they don't make the rules.  I believe the rule-makers like to see folks getting sweaty, having to constantly tend to their smokers.  This gives the impression that their type of smoking takes a lot more skill.  To see a team prepare their meat, throw it in a Smokin-It, and then disappear to their trailers or somewhere else until it's done just wouldn't be a good show! ...even though the results might just blow the competition away!

But, hey, I may be talking out my rump roast too. ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas

UWFSAE

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2013, 09:30:25 PM »
Well, to be fair it's not just electric but propane as well.  I equate it to the arguments against Casey Martin when he petitioned to use a cart under ADA legislation during his time in the PGA.

When you remove a high degree of ambient humidity and temperature variation it takes the "sport" out of smoking to a certain degree.  Note that I have the same argument against those who would take an AR-15 hunting or dynamite fishing.

Most of us have posted that a chief reason we selected electric smokers is the lack of babysitting required; if this were the case for competitions they might as well just grade the rubs and sauces ...
Joe from Houston, TX

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2013, 09:57:35 PM »
Note that I have the same argument against those who would take an AR-15 hunting or dynamite fishing.

Joe, you probably just hacked-off a lot of hunters and fishermen in our southern states! :o
Tony from NW Arkansas

UWFSAE

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2013, 10:06:13 PM »
As a Southerner who has done more than my share of bow hunting and off-shore fishing, I can probably get a pass on this.
Joe from Houston, TX