Author Topic: Smoker running too hot  (Read 668 times)

Mom to Two Dogs

Smoker running too hot
« on: June 05, 2021, 06:15:07 PM »
Hi. We just today received our Model 2 smoker and are seasoning it, according to the instructions that were included. We foiled and put 2 pieces of wood and set it for 250 degrees. I have a probe inside to monitor the interior temp and a remote to see what the probe is reading. The temperature raised to 378 degrees right away. It lowers a bit, to 280 then increases again! Should we set the temperature dial for 200 to get 250? It just seems incredibly hot, too hot for a smoker!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Smoker running too hot
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2021, 06:34:08 PM »
Welcome from Delaware!   I hope you love the #2 as much as I do!    As for the smoker temp, this is normal for the maiden (seasoning) smoke with no meat in the smoker.   When you add meat on your next smoke, you will likely see more realistic smoking temps.   

As for foiling, I don't think you needed to do that on the first smoke that is designed to season the smoker.   When you add meat, you will definitely want to foil the smoker box and floor of the smoker (don't forget to punch a hole in the foil for drainage) to ease in the clean up process.

Enjoy the #2, and let us know if you have more questions.   Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2